At least two Teslas catch fire in separate incidents over the weekend (video)

Originally published at: At least two Teslas catch fire in separate incidents over the weekend (video) | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Welcome in advance, new BBS comrades!

29 Likes

A Model Y and a Model 3 still on the lot? Sounds like there is a flaw in the battery packs of newer Teslas. They wouldn’t have that many miles/hours on them yet, and there is a gigantic fuse on the pack to prevent against external shorts. This has to be an internal failure.

15 Likes

I wonder when the insurance companies will start raising eyebrows.

10 Likes

I know Tesla is always looking for fun merch tie-ins. Maybe they should consider selling Tesla branded glass breakers…

15 Likes

Not to mention the operators of parking lots and structures. Some hotels and other businesses prohibited the Chevy Bolt EV after those fire recalls came out.

10 Likes

Buying Twitter should fix this, how I do not know, because I’m not an inventor/prodigy/billionaire, but Mush will get to this, right after he fixes all those ice cream machines at McDonalds.

18 Likes

Wow, I guess things really are heating up for Elon lately.
His stocks aren’t the only thing on fire!

6 Likes

Well how else do we know it’s Summer?

5 Likes

Or asbestos clothing?

5 Likes

I may consider a Tesla if it comes with an ejection seat, one that doesn’t require a touchscreen to operate.

9 Likes

Or the driver could have used the manual door release. :person_shrugging:

(I do get that when a person is in a smoking vehicle, is maybe not the time to expect them to think coolly, much less RTFM.)

3 Likes

Tesla is the only one that hides the manual release, and the rear doors do not have them at all. That’s… not good.

The Model S has interior door handles. A normal pull will activate the electric release, and a much harder pull does a manual release (at the risk of damaging those frameless windows.)

13 Likes

giphy-15 4

12 Likes

Great … I just parallel parked my car next to a Telsa, with gas tank facing the incendiary device.

13 Likes

Then you’re doing it correctly.

11 Likes

Especially when the FM is buried somewhere in layers of touchscreen menus.

“I see you are trying to open the door. Would you like some help with that? Let’s get started. First, choose your reason for opening the door from the following list.”

17 Likes

Teslas have build quality issues, Li Ion batteries are prone to fire, and Musk has gone full narcassistic-Troll shithead.

However, ICE cars catch on fire too. There is no such thing as a car that doesn’t fail in potentially fatal ways. We are accustomed to our ICE vehicles failures, they are not news. When you report on BE vehicles failures and not on ICE vehicle failures, you give people the wrong impression about the relative danger of BE vehicles. If they are more prone to fire than ICE vehicles, report the statistics. Posting a video of a BEV on fire otherwise misinforms people about what is, in almost all ways, a better technology for vehicle power trains and an important step in fixing the climate crisis.

8 Likes

Metaphor alert!

I keep reading about Tesla drivers breaking windows to get out of their cars. So either they become so used to not using it that in the panic of the moment they forget it’s there, or the manual controls don’t always work. I mean, it’s probably the first option, but…

14 Likes

Dear diary, today I memorized how to get out of a car I have never been in so that I don’t burn to death when the day comes.

20 Likes