At least two Teslas catch fire in separate incidents over the weekend (video)

Great, but it’s not like you have time to look this up when you need it. It should be unquestioningly obvious how to get the door open when you’re in an emergency situation. And maybe it’s obvious initially, but if Tesla is conditioning people to forget how to do it that’s even worse.

13 Likes

BEV fires are more dangerous. ICE vehicle fires tend to start in the engine compartment. You become aware of it and can get out before the cabin or fuel tank is involved. The fire is usually extinguished before that happens. BEVs have the battery pack under the cabin and the battery is almost always the source of the fire. Batteries burn hot and fast and heat/fire moves upwards.

10 Likes

We need to sacrifice a few Teslas and perhaps a few humans to complete this experiment. Then we will know, without question, that Teslas catch on fire, leaving no doubts to the general public on how to deal with this issue.

Any volunteers?

7 Likes

And there’s nothing like a firewall?

1 Like

Firefloor?

1 Like

I’d be surprised if there was any material in the floor of the car that could withstand the heat of a lithium-ion battery fire.

9 Likes

Car-[B]BQ…

6 Likes

True, but a totally off-topic attempt to derail a thread about Teslas catching fire.

15 Likes

I think they already have. Here in France (semi-rural near Avignon) insurance is on a Tesla is about 2.5 times that of other equivalently-priced cars.

We’d like a second car. Driving the Sprinter van has become quite expensive, and just as we’re starting to venture out more and further into the world. We still need the Sprinter for family outings, but something smaller would be good for shopping, errands, and school runs. I’m currently considering a Subaru XV Hybrid (called Crosstrek Hybrid in the US.) My son in CA has one and likes it a lot. More electric range would be nice, but the 30 km electric-only range would do for most of our use cases, and fuel is free from our solar system.

6 Likes

this

12 Likes

I don’t know why he didn’t know how to open the door, but it’s obvious from the video that in his panicked state he didn’t. Maybe he would have had trouble getting out of a Mini Cooper too, who knows.

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/ClothesTesla/status/1440419591679664131

11 Likes

Your moment of zen:

13 Likes

At least Tesla has assembled a first responders guide on their website.

5 Likes

For something not full of petroleum and controlled by computers they sure do catch fire and crash a lot.

18 Likes

This makes me so mad, I want to launch a Tesla into the air!

Good news: if you’ve never been in a Tesla before you’ll have no problems finding it. It’s where you expect it to be.

I’ll say. I’ve been trying to train my mom and MIL for three years to NOT pull the manual release and use the intended button to pop open the door. Using the manual release doesn’t drop the window the short distance required to clear the gasket and can damage one or both. The release is definitely in the intuitive position.

4 Likes

I was happy to see that the dealership didn’t go up all at once when one caught fire. Success!

13 Likes

Aw, they’re learning

:hugs:

8 Likes

Scoff Charlie Pickering GIF by The Weekly with Charlie Pickering

5 Likes