At least two Teslas catch fire in separate incidents over the weekend (video)

You’re not hearing any of these stories about the Chevy Bolt or other EV’s.

Odd that.

18 Likes

The front doors of a Model S or X do indeed have traditional door handles but I’m sorry, the manual release in the Model 3 and Y are not like any door handles I’ve ever encountered. They definitely look disguised. If you’re a passenger in the back seat of anything but a Model S, well… unless someone’s told you how to open the doors in an emergency (in 30 years of driving I’ve never had to do this) you’re fucked.

11 Likes

Lithium battery fires produce highly toxic pollution. Including fluoride gas.

You’d think a stable genius would build a stable battery.

16 Likes

Great. Bad for kids, people with disabilities, older people- even middle aged people like Elmer.

15 Likes

I don’t think we’ve had one of those yet.

13 Likes

Sounds like a design problem to me, unless the gaskets are cheap, easily replaceable, and easy to acquire. Oh wait, it’s a Tesla, so most likely 0/3 on that one.

One more reason why I’m not going to buy a tesla, I guess.

5 Likes

Mr Ed?

9 Likes

He managed to travel without catching fire, too!

11 Likes

And was full self galloping!

10 Likes

Plus nobody ever went online and claimed his horseshit was genius.

14 Likes

Thanks for bringing actual data, instead of flamewar energy.

Google results for (Tesla Fire) : 93,500,000 hits

Google results for (“Dodge Charger” fire) : 4,640,000 hits

Completely out of proportion to the IIHS data.

1 Like

I sure hope that Tesla dealers are not relying on their customers to RTFM. They really should go over this carefully with their customers.

11 Likes

Heck, I have trouble getting out of a Mini Cooper when it’s not on fire. Then again, I also have trouble getting in to one, so there’s that.

Something something build quality related to worker treatment something…

12 Likes

To be fair, that’s really common on all cars. BMW was doing this as far back as the 90s. When you first start to pull on the door handle, the window drops a little bit automatically to clear the gasket. It allows for much better gaskets to block water and sound. Many (most?) modern cars (at least luxury ones) do this.

However, to also be fair, it’s strange that the Tesla’s doors don’t automatically unlock in an emergency. In all modern cars (that I am aware of) emergency conditions such as the car being inverted, the airbags going off, smoke detected, overheating detected, etc, cause the power locks to automatically release.

This still works in normal EVs like the Bolt, because the accessories are run from a normal 12V lead acid battery, not the big lithium one. The 12V battery is charged from the main pack like an alternator would in an ICE car. This is done both for safety margin and so they can use the same 12V accessory parts as in their other non-EV cars. Are Teslas not like this?

7 Likes

And he can’t even build an unstable battery - IIRC, aren’t his batteries all outsourced from Panasonic?

What makes these stats even worse is that you’ve got to consider the false positives.

Things like “phone charger fire” and “battery charger fire” along with any other type of charger fire (some electrical chargers get very prone to fires when they get older or damaged or wet or…) with the word dodge in the page will also be hit, and fairly common.

“Tesla fire” is a lot less likely to hit false positives, as the only other things it may be about are fires at the Tesla museum (I don’t think there have been any), or history pages about Nikolai Tesla mentioning him losing a job.

I used parentheses around “Dodge Charger” to minimize that possibility.

2 Likes

Why should these be linearly proportional to the incident counts? I would expect events at or below baseline expected rates to warrant little or no mention in the news, with media response increasing exponentially as incident rates exceed the baseline.

3 Likes

You need a Teslabuchet!

5 Likes

I believe it’s mainly so they can have frameless windows. It’s generally a coupe thing. It also means they wear out parts of the window mechanism much more frequently, as they’re in use every time you open the door.

th-1563240602

7 Likes