At long last, our national Jeopardy nightmare is over

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/10/at-long-last-our-national-jeopardy-nightmare-is-over.html

3 Likes

“What is the most trivial article I’ve read today?”" :heart_eyes::+1:

10 Likes

This article was generated by AI?

I’m baffled as to the point.

6 Likes

Yeah, I don’t understand. Who wrote the tournament shows if the writers were on strike?

4 Likes

Is admitting that the show has writers breaking Quiz Show Kayfabe; or are the writers responsible for setting the questions?

1 Like

Aaaaaand, the first regular game back was like going from the World Series to T-ball. Many questions left on the board, multiple stand-and-stares, and the winner got several hundred dollars less than the second place finisher. Oh, they’re back, baby!

2 Likes

It’s been many years since I’ve watched Jeopardy, but how? I thought the winner was defined as the person with the most money at the end.

4 Likes

So many words, to say so little. About a game show whose point is, ostensibly, knowledge. What is this?

3 Likes

just a guess, but the sense might be that “the second place finisher” was intended as indicating the scores going into the final jeopardy round. the ‘first place finisher’ of which could end up not being the ‘winner’ by advent of guessing wrongly and betting too much. i -think- in this particular game everyone got the question wrong and the winner, who had less accumulated upon the start of final jeopardy, won because she bet the least. there you go, worth every brass razoo you paid for it.

2 Likes

The winner did have the most money at the end (final scores: $2,200, $0, $0), but it was a few hundred bucks less than the second place consolation prize (final prizes: $2,200, $3,000, $2,000).

2 Likes

@killick, @euansmith - Yes, game shows have writing staffs who research and write the questions. The Jeopardy writers were recently added to the WGA contract, so they couldn’t generate new questions during the strike.

There was a stockpile of “fresh” questions to keep the regular J! shows going, but at some point they supposedly had to dip into the archives (which is why they had the extended tournament season as it would be unfair for new contestants to receive old material). Also, true quiz show kayfabe would probably be “mean guy” James Holzhauer, as he’s done charity work to bring trivia and quizzing to under-represented communities and seems like a decent fellow in my brief personal interactions.

4 Likes

Well if you weren’t interested in the article, you could have just, I dunno, ignored it? Does every post on BB have to be of interest to you? It was a weird season of Jeopardy. For those of us who are fans of the show, a return to normal shows with new contestants is a big deal. If it’s not a big deal to you, that’s fine, but why did you feel the need to say that?

1 Like

trivia?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.