At Starbucks, some customers give 'Black Lives Matter' as name so baristas will shout the phrase

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/15/at-starbucks-some-customers-g.html

This is kind of sweet, but there’s an awful child inside of me that’s already coming up with ways to exploit this for funny.

Didn’t that jackass Feuerstein (sp?) Already do this for “Merry Christmas?” I thought it was harmless then and see it the same way now.

Harmless = Pointless

I beg to differ, Pointless can be/have meaning. In my humble opine.

I know just what I’m going to give as my name…

Sure, you can tell them that’s what your name is, but what finally makes it onto the cup?

Check out the actual inspiration for Moe:

Warning: NSFW Language.

That would be an interesting confrontation.

“… aaand your name, please?”
“HashtagBlackLivesMatter.”
"It’ll be two minutes."
Five minutes later…
“HashtagAllLivesMatter?”

Less political, but weren’t people using the name Primrose Everdeen a few years ago so that they could yell “I volunteer as tribute” when the barista shouted it?

Sweet!

Guess what? You can also rename your pokemon in poke mongo and if you leave them in a gym then everyone can see your names.

I remember they tried to introduce the “give your name” thing in *$ over here a few years ago.

It didn’t go down well. At all.Lots of people gave fake names, joke names, refused to give thir name, or went elsewhere.

I think they eventually just withdrew the policy of asking.

However, it did lead to the best comment ever given on a BBC news story:

My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the
North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor,
Marcus Aurelius; father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife;
and I will have my skinny latte with an extra shot, in this life or the
next!

Having a Starbucks barista blurt it out as part of a business transaction seems to cheapen the message.

“Blech Lives Matter!” ~ Mad Magazine, March 1975 (reprinted 1977, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1986, 1986, 1990, 1991, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016)*

Also, on-topic, paying Starbucks corp to say something that you can say for free seems a poor use of resources.

• h/t childhood

I’m going to order my next Vanilla Steamer like this.

“A vanilla steamer for black lives matter”?

Nobody is commenting on the username “pussymom”?

Flat Whites Matter

If that’s sweet tea going out at 9:30AM it may as well be #BlackLivesMatter
Almost panicked it wasn’t a frappuccino and threw 4 rosemary infusion shots in there.

Now I’m dying to tell them my name is “Short Finger Vulgarian.”