At Starbucks, some customers give 'Black Lives Matter' as name so baristas will shout the phrase

While I am completely behind #BlackLivesMatter, I am not behind forcing innocent wage slaves to announce your political proclivities against their will. What if someone insists on using the name #AbortionIsMurder or #TrumpForPresident?

8 Likes

They will. But who cares?

Forcing? Would they really be fired for refusing to say it?

3 Likes

Agree. I feel like I give my name roughly 97% of the time, but many times the barista will just yell out my drink instead of both the name and type of drink. I suspect that this is what will happen if name is too long or offensive.

6 Likes

awww…beat me to it. :clap:

1 Like

And once again, Kitty Flanagan:

7 Likes

Whenever a coffee shop asks me my name, I tell tham it’s Tom because I don’t want my real name shouted for all to hear.

4 Likes

No. Would the person who asked them to say it go all ‘HE’S NOT WEARING THE RIBBON!’ Very probably.

Want to say ‘black lives matter’? Say ‘black lives matter’. Don’t make other people say ‘black lives matter’ for you.

3 Likes

Yes sir!

1 Like

I can see where this coffee gig is going

9 Likes

Spartacus

4 Likes

yeah i tried to pick an obscure pseudonym to use but it has never worked out, every time i tell the barista that my name is john jacob jingleheimer schmidt the person next to me just happens to be named that too…

11 Likes

I think they copied it from some fundamental Christian rightists. Last year (?) Starbucks supposedly stopped saying “Merry Christmas”, so these rightist idiots are telling all their followers to give their name as “Merry Christmas”. It’s was on RightWingWatch / Disonnancepod.

Fixxed!

I always give my name as “Nochargeforyou Sexyman”

10 Likes

:heart_decoration:

If you give your name as “LargeCappa ExtraShot” would you be able to jump the queue? :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Much like!:blue_heart:

2 Likes

How is adding an obvious and unnecessary clause “fixxing” anything? It’s clear that @MBrody meant “…to me” or he/she would have specified otherwise.

[quote=“Purplecat, post:11, topic:81553”]
It didn’t go down well. At all.Lots of people gave fake names, joke names[/quote]
Perfectly acceptable practice.

…Why?

The things people get fussed about…

Probably not, but I wouldn’t want to stake my job on it. Have you seen what goes on in food service jobs? People get fired for not smiling enough.

And if they don’t say it, then they get harassed by an angry asshole. I’d really prefer not to set people up for that sort of thing at all.