'Atheists, homosexuals and transgender individuals' upset Alabama's chief justice

Damn, only two of three.

Would it be disrespectful to trans folks if I tried to change my gender expression just to piss this guy off more?

4 Likes

As has been point out elsewhere, the Pilgrim Fathers left Europe in order to practice religious intolerance rather than gain freedom from it. :wink:

7 Likes

I dunno. I belong to the congregation that their minister for hire started the very minute his contract expired, the next town over. Some of them were pretty okay.,… but we did need to make church/state laws for reasons.

2 Likes

I dunno, he sounds a lot like William Burnside/1950s Captain America

2 Likes

That’s not Captain Dreamy! And by that I mean Chris Evans.

3 Likes

One thing I truly didn’t understand from that clip: how can he or anyone ban a “mock wedding”? That sounds like a free speech issue.

And if he’s going to use the argument that in the recent past homosexuality was considered a mental disorder . . . well, that’s a really slippery slope to be on-- is he going to defend discredited psychological cures like trans-orbital lobotomy, primal scream therapy, hydrotherapy or insulin-coma therapy? Less than 100 years ago the idea of “white man’s burden” was commonly accepted in American society, using his logic you could cite that to defend segregation.

5 Likes

Just listening to that, fuck Roy Moore is just foul.

Foul. Garbage-person who is terrible at thinking.

He’s lamenting the DSM-IV-TR being supplanted by the DSM-V.

He’s a shining beacon of Alabama’s educational system. A system that demonstrably doesn’t teach about how science works. A system that fails so many including chief bumpkin of the courts.

I both hate and pity this piece of human refuse. Probably at some point someone tried to educate him, but I’m sure they failed because he’s being willfully stupid in order to protect his bigotry. If that isn’t evil, I don’t know what is.

9 Likes

My southern grandmother who, as far as I know, never wished ill on another person, would say, “Bless their heart” when she heard of someone’s misfortune.

This completely sincere and unironic use of the phrase is, of course, also appropriate in Roy Moore’s case. I don’t know what his real problem is but clearly there is something seriously wrong with him. It’s unfortunate those around him are enabling his delusions rather than helping him, but right now some of his family members can’t afford for him to take a break from the bench.

6 Likes

Nobody gives a shit about the religion he practices at home.

You’re confusing prejudging a person with judging him for his specific acts and deeds. Similarly one does not need to be tolerant of intolerance and hate. “People like him” are anti-human rights bigots, not “Christians”

Ah regressives, trying to find hypocrisy to justify evils. Because zingers are more important than right-action.

5 Likes

“This is not about religion,” Moore said at the press conference. “This is about my marriage and my legal orders.”

So, it really is all about him!

3 Likes

My mother, not southern, would use it in a similar way, and would say “Bless your heart” as another way of saying “Thank you” for a compliment or some act of kindness.

It’s only recently that I learned how much of a sting the phrase carries in the southern US. Y’all are tricky.

5 Likes

It’s almost like they have never heard about the Paradox of tolerance before, and think they have found some wonderful way to trip us up.

6 Likes

Is there a kinder sounding method of saying “fuck those loser idiots” that I have yet to hear?

Also, “bless their heart” isn’t just a southern passive-aggressive thing, Mormons also adopted it as a burn on those they consider lessers.

4 Likes

I’m assuming (prejudgingly!!!) that they’re of the “libertarian” persuasion where they would rather be smug towards the collectivists in the left and the existence of the State slash fear “political correctness” in the judicial branch more than they would ever be interested in protecting or establishing human rights beyond property. I doubt I’m very off the mark.

2 Likes

The War of Northern Passive-Aggression? No, you’ve summed it up nicely.

6 Likes

I don’t care what he does at home, I only care what he does from the bench, because that’s the part that affects our shared society. But, yeah, it pisses me off when he uses his personal religion as a cudgel with which to punish anyone who isn’t his co-religionist.

6 Likes

If it’s a genuine expression of your identity, then I’d say go for it. Some other trans people won’t be happy but they tend to be the ones who use transgender and gender dysphoria interchangably.

I am somewhat controversial as I think that gender dysphoria is an intersex condition and transgender is a seperate but not exclusive identity, but that’s another subject I don’t think I have the strength to talk about right now.

2 Likes

But then wouldn’t you lose the “homosexual” part in the deal?

1 Like

So , you are thus justified in making assumptions about my politics (about which you are wrong) because I point out an instance of sloppy language?

He was elected by his peers…aka inbred morons in Alabama. After being tossed out of the position not that long ago.

3 Likes