Athlete Mary Cain: "I Was the Fastest Girl in America, Until I Joined Nike"

Fixed that for ya. The weight-loss industry has done an outstanding job of insinuating itself into medicine. Go to a lot of doctors as a fat patient, and all of ypur problems can be diagnosed as “you need to lose weight” . Failure to lose weight (especially frustrating when we a) understand way, way less than we think about weight and b) medical issues) is called being non-compliant and leads to worse treatment and blaming the patient. Throw in the sexism and racism that permeate medicine, and your blanket statement gets awfully motheaten.

17 Likes
4 Likes

I’m still super pissed at the Gracie Gold debacle, one of a number of reasons I quit watching figure skating.

1 Like

It’s possible for there to be multiple issues/problems with a situation.

7 Likes

Salazar has already “fell from grace” in the running community due to his 4 year doping ban for pushing the athletes he coached to dope. It also makes these allegations a lot less surprising.

7 Likes

The way she tells the story in the video, what happened to her sounds less like a marketing decision and more like the coaches applying a training and weight management regimen designed for male bodies to female athletes. Very unprofessional and evidently dangerous and abusive.

Edit: and not to forget, he also had her using harmful and banned methods of weight reduction to achieve his arbitrary weight goals.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.