Atlanta interstate catches fire and collapses

They can’t start a PVC pipe registry because you can use it to make pipe bombs and those are protected under the 2nd Amendment.

:wink:

18 Likes

The space under the overpass was being used for the storage of really big spools of some kind of plastic tubing or cables. Here’s a image link showing the fire very early They don’t know yet how it started.

8 Likes

This is terrible. I lived in Atlanta for 2 years. I am so sad to this. And yes traffic is already terrifying in Atlanta so this is going to make it a true living nightmare.

13 Likes

Huh - that looks like something the city or state did. So someone needs to update regulations, or possibly follow those in place.

It doesn’t look that bad there, how fast/slow was the fire response?

It might be now…

Back in 1957, Eric Frank Russel predicted an authoritarian state brought to its knees by crayon, in the novel, “Wasp”.

@Mister44, it is a sad state of affairs when a comment like that actually needs a :wink: to separate it from fact.

1 Like

It’s a joke. Explosive are heavily regulated. :wink:

Although when it was easier to get dynamite, it made for some great stories.

(long but worth it)

3 Likes

No telling how quickly it spread. There still hasn’t been a news release on the details.

1 Like

Must.Stop.Laughing.

13 Likes

Well, what else is there to say, really? :wink:

3 Likes

Florida Man goes on a road trip!

11 Likes

I gave this a like, then saw who wrote it and wished I could give it a double-like, considering the source. Well played!

7 Likes

“Ah’d used it awl urp… 'surpt fur six stiiks.” :smiley:

2 Likes

So other places do that crap too? In northern Virginia, every third road name is some variant of Glebe.

3 Likes

Lots of information on this story from the local FOX channel. They mention in the report that “fiber optic cable” was involved, though most of the other information I’ve seen just says conduit.

They say the fire started around 6pm, and from the timing it looks like the collapse happened before 7. It got out of hand quick.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/245059796-story

Warning: the “special report” video there has a reporter in the first segment who seems to have taken her overacting lessons from Shatner himself. I couldn’t help giggling at some of it. “Rumblings. People hearing. And think it’s the fire. Then people realize…”

5 Likes

So basically:

9 Likes

Might want to start with swarthy plumbers with accents.

9 Likes

This nearly happened in Pittsburgh last year. Welders caught fire to tarps on a bridge and it went poof. They caught it before the bridge collapsed. They said it was minutes from happening. It still caused closure on the bridge for a few months:

4 Likes

I was going to say, were they heading for Florida?

1 Like

That makes sense. I think I know who was behind this, now.

3 Likes