Atlanta interstate catches fire and collapses

Rest assured, many people will. -_-

2 Likes

You know, tables of strength of steels and cast irons at different temperatures have been available since the 19th century. There’s one on page 335 of my 1943 Machinery’s Handbook.
It’s almost as if some people either can’t read, or don’t want to.

8 Likes

Yes, the firebombing of Dresden is a librul myth!

Once a fire is hot enough, it will draw enough oxygen to burn steel. You usually have to be forcing a draft, but with sufficient conflagration (such as Dresden, where both steel and concrete burned) the fire itself will create powerful air movement.

Hmmm, interesting! PVC pipe isn’t wound on spools like that, it’s too rigid. That looks like CPVC, ABS, polybutylene or some other highly flexible plumbing pipe.

Material illegally stored under US highways catching on fire is not as rare as one would hope. I think it’s usually used tires, though, not piping.

Here in Delaware we invented a new, simpler and cheaper way to break interstate highway bridges, though. Those Atlanta plumbers are trying too hard.

6 Likes

Isn’t “I-85” one of those “pedophilia-code-words” for… something?

:pizza: :crocodile:

3 Likes

It’s the re-emergence of XENU!

2 Likes

Yes, increasing pressure increases oxygen concentration at the point of reaction. At atmospheric pressures (and by extension, concentrations) steel does not burn. Throw a lot of Oxygen at it, and almost anything will oxidize!

3 Likes

Plus these two photos:

(the first seems to be Google StreetView or something)

As I read further, also linked to on imagur by

6 Likes

Well, there were, but then we wanted this one new regulation about bathrooms, so we had to get rid of some of those pesky old regulations that were cluttering up the place.

15 Likes

I thought it was just Seattle that used the same street name over and over to the point of navigation without GPS being nearly impossible.

2 Likes

OK, in the first picture it looks to me like HDPE or PEX spooled plastic pipe. Definitely not PVC.

The orange is very popular for low voltage and telecom conduit. There is also some orange PE pipe in thick wall, small diameter that is used for fuel gas, but yellow is more popular and is required by some codes. People also sometimes use plastic conduit in random colors for relatively unregulated water systems like sprinklers. Blue is for potable water, grey is electric, red is fire suppression, green is sewer, white is undefined but when run along with blue or red and there’s no green, you should suspect it’s drain or sewer line.

Sadly no. To get to my house, follow upper creek road north, turn left on creek road, cross the creek, then turn right on upper creek road. My house is between the road and the creek. Also, GPS does not work down here in the creek valley.

6 Likes

Hah, nope. From Wikipedia:
“The Peachtree name is common throughout the Atlanta area. In fact, it is often joked by natives that half of the streets in Atlanta are named Peachtree, and the other half have five names to make up for it.[citation needed] While “Peachtree” alone always refers to this street, there are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of “Peachtree” in their name.”

And, a fun example from further down: “Where the current Peachtree Street turns to Peachtree Road and briefly heads northwest, it actually crosses West Peachtree, leaving it on the east side[…].”

9 Likes

I don’t think concrete burns. After it has had time to set it contains a lot of carbonate. At a certain temperature the carbonate gives off carbon dioxide, which decomposes the concrete. This is why you make brazing hearths etc. out of firebrick and fire cement, not Portland cement concrete.

4 Likes

Wow! That’s worse than what we have. We just like to use all the road types (FooBar Rd, Foobar St, Foobar Ct, etc…)

“Having summoned up his courage with a brief stop for some Boone’s Farm at the Quick-E-Mart off Exit 73, the disgraced General Sherman vowed to begin his task anew… this time there would be no stopping him.”

5 Likes

I was taught in military history class* that concrete burned in the Dresden firestorm. However, the more I google it, the more this seems either an exaggeration or a special case. I haven’t found any specific references online to stone and concrete burning at Dresden.

When you spill molten bronze on a concrete floor, the floor literally explodes from steam formation inside the concrete. This typically propels the molten metal to another part of the floor, and the process repeats.

* Sponsored by the US Army! Be all** that you can be!

** Assuming all that you can be is underpaid in extreme danger***.

*** Unless Daddy is a senator and you can pretend you know how to type.

16 Likes

I think I see the problem, right there.
Did you by any chance deal with the Battle of Midway in chemistry class? There was an awful lot of oxidation and corrosion in that.

5 Likes

I already have a bad feeling about the gieger counter* and lead sheet** I bought.

*bought when our two cats needed iodine 131 treatment for hyperthyroid, to monitor when it was safe to have them sit on my lap

**bought to make model railroad cars heavy enough not to fall over on curves

12 Likes

You’d think. But people don’t. “A bridge? Why would a fire burn a steel and concrete bridge?” But heating steel that much makes it expand, which puts incredible stresses on things made of concrete next to it that don’t expand as much.

8 Likes

Could you point it out more clearly? I don’t see what you see there, at the moment, but I’m curious to.

To be fair, your choices are: 1. Stay there. 2. Turn around on a one-way street. 3. Drive through and PRAY. I’m not saying I’d have chosen 3, but I won’t hate on those who did.

3 Likes