ATM machines, PIN numbers, and other redundant acronyms

I don’t know what the “Plain Old Telephone System” syndrome is supposed to be, but it’s not a duplicate word in there. SCNR.

2 Likes

If I had a dime for every time I said “SI system”… I knew it, too, and often corrected it to international SI system… I don’t think any of my students got the joke.

5 Likes

(And before you tell me it isn’t funny, I know – but there were always a few students who would at least politely acknowledge my attempts at humour)

2 Likes

Any of them can describe my LAN network.

2 Likes

I’ve always been a huge fan of NFS file system. It gets two of its letters said as words.

5 Likes

Surely simply a normal non-functioning SNAFU unit?

I suppose that falls under “redundant translation”, really. Same goes with pizza pie,

3 Likes

My personal favorite/most hated is ramen noodles. Alright, slick, enjoy your noodle noodles. I’ll be over here eating my udon.

3 Likes

I’m so old I remember when it was called the Vertical Assembly Building.

Having ADD disorder made it impossible to remember the VIN number on my car long enough to write it down today.

“Manos, the Hands of Fate”, or “Hands, the Hands of Fate.”

6 Likes

I always thought they were saying “piece a pie”…that song makes SO much more sense now.
:wink:

1 Like

No one here for shrimp scampi?

How about hot water heater?

1 Like

Fava Beans.

Good one! If it’s already hot, why are you heating it?

Tangential, but people around here say “unthaw” and I’m always like, “so, freeze?”

4 Likes

The MLB? You mean the Modern Languages Building here on campus?

I hate you, Milkman Dan.

2 Likes

There’s a street in Mountain View, CA called La Avenida Avenue.

4 Likes

Do you use NIC cards on your LAN network, or are you strictly wireless Wi-Fi.

4 Likes

Avenue Road is a major street in downtown Toronto.

A common urban legend about the origin of the name goes as follows. Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe was surveying the old town of York and came to a spot on Bloor Street and pointed north. He said (in an English accent), “Let’s 'ave a new road!”

– Wikipedia

4 Likes