Atomik Vodka: distilled from grains grown in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/12/20bq-per-kg-strontium-90.html

3 Likes

“3.6% alcohol. Not great, but not terrible.”

1 Like

Not exactly a glowing review.

16 Likes

With earthy notes and the taste of hot graphite it has a distinct and lingering burn. The most recommended mixer: iodine.

12 Likes

8 Likes

Suggested pairing: Fukushima rice bowl and a Bikini Atoll tuna roll.

12 Likes

Of course, it will never be completely non-radioactive, as all alcohol has to be slightly radioactive by law:

4 Likes

giphy-1

3 Likes

What’s next, Salmon cannon Vodka? Asking for a friend…

4 Likes

Fallout: “You find a cache of pre-war booze!”

2 Likes

I’m not super keen on all the normalisation efforts going on around Chernobyl.

“Oh, that? That was years ago. Heh, have you seen all the wildlife? Have some vodka! Look at the quaint old buildings!”

So next they’ll have to make some good ol’ Nuka Cola

8 Likes

You’ll need a mixer to go with that.

7 Likes

I’ll have an atomic vodka martini

shaken not stirred.

with a twist of polonium-210

4 Likes

Isn’t there a song by a Russian underground poet from the 1960ies? 1970ies? about an engineer saying that vodka is good against strontium?

2 Likes

I dislike that the area around Chernobyl has become a tourist attraction, but this vodka is a byproduct of legitimate research and not made for a quick buck.:slight_smile:

distilled from grains grown in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone as part of an experiment to determine the transfer of radiation from soil to crops; so far, the University of Portsmouth researchers behind the project have only made one bottle

3 Likes

Get you some Mentats and NukaCola Victory and you got yourself an atomic cocktail.

2 Likes

The trick is to drink it fast enough that the liver failure gets you before the cancer.

3 Likes

ChernobylVodka600

1 Like