Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

The dangers of linking to WaPo, yet another of Bezos’ beasts.

Oh dear, the Revolving Door Project certainly seems to have an ax to grind:

14 Likes

Yeah, it’s very weird to me that friendship is equated with “shadow advisor” (from the second link). There are lots of people across the political spectrum in the US who attended the same schools and/or worked at the same firms who are friends, but disagree when it comes to policy and/or their work. Hell, RBG and Scalia were friends.

Maybe the goal is partly to cast Merrick Garland as a mindless, hapless stooge being manipulated by a corporate legal eagle. Otherwise, they would spend more time focusing on the folks in the article actually working for the DOJ. There’s plenty of material there for sensational headlines about links between the previous administration and the current one. :woman_shrugging:t4:

14 Likes
16 Likes

If she did it, she wouldn’t be able to shut up about it. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes
20 Likes

“Worst accessibility ramp ever!”

20 Likes

Dressed in the same cowboy clown outfit both times.

Couy Griffin? Who is this weirdo?

5 Likes

Cowboys 4 Trump.

At least he didn’t bring the horse. (Not kidding.)

8 Likes
22 Likes
24 Likes

Long shots, but it’d be nice if one person gets nailed so that it’s on the find out list of consequences for fucking around. (The list currently seems to be the null set.)

16 Likes

One of the insurrectionists just got asylum in Belarus.

The cranberry reference seemed odd to me so I looked it up: turns out that Belarus has a large state-run cranberry production company and is the leading producer of cranberries in Europe. I wonder how their government officials feel about him saying that the berries make him very happy and very sad at the same time.

12 Likes

Officials said that the resumption would occur in phases, beginning on Monday for school groups and other groups of up to 15 people who would be led by lawmakers or their aides. Congressional offices would each be limited to leading one tour weekly.

13 Likes

What Could Go Wrong Donald Trump GIF by Saturday Night Live

18 Likes

Coming soon: “Crazy Greene’s Capital Hill Tours”

13 Likes

There are so many members of the extremist Proud Boys organization facing trial for conspiracy charges tied to the Jan. 6 attack of the U.S. Capitol that a federal judge wrestled Wednesday with the very question of how he would physically manage a courtroom with so many co-defendants present at once.

15 Likes

Read the Full Text of Mark Pomerantz’s Resignation Letter

The former prosecutor who investigated Donald J. Trump believed that the former president was “guilty of numerous felony violations.”

March 23, 2022Updated 6:58 p.m. ET

The following is the full text of the resignation letter by Mark Pomerantz, who had investigated former President Donald J. Trump, but left after the Manhattan district attorney, Alvin Bragg, halted an effort to seek an indictment.

Dear Alvin,

I write to tender my resignation as a Special Assistant District Attorney and to explain my reasons for resigning.

As you know from our recent conversations and presentations, I believe that Donald Trump is guilty of numerous felony violations of the Penal Law in connection with the preparation and use of his annual Statements of Financial Condition. His financial statements were false, and he has a long history of fabricating information relating to his personal finances and lying about his assets to banks, the national media, counterparties, and many others, including the American people. The team that has been investigating Mr. Trump harbors no doubt about whether he committed crimes — he did.

In late 2021, then-District Attorney Cyrus Vance directed a thorough review of the facts and law relating to Mr. Trump’s financial statements. Mr. Vance had been intimately involved in our investigation, attending grand jury presentations, sitting in on certain witness interviews, and receiving regular reports about the progress of the investigation. He concluded that the facts warranted prosecution, and he directed the team to present evidence to a grand jury and to seek an indictment of Mr. Trump and other defendants as soon as reasonably possible.

This work was underway when you took office as District Attorney. You have devoted significant time and energy to understanding the evidence we have accumulated with respect to the Trump financial statements, as well as the applicable law. You have reached the decision not to go forward with the grand jury presentation and not to seek criminal charges at the present time. The investigation has been suspended indefinitely. Of course, that is your decision to make. I do not question your authority to make it, and I accept that you have made it sincerely. However, a decision made in good faith may nevertheless be wrong. I believe that your decision not to prosecute Donald Trump now, and on the existing record, is misguided and completely contrary to the public interest. I therefore cannot continue in my current position.

25 Likes

Sounds like someone woke up next to a horse’s head.

16 Likes

Or some bearer bonds.

16 Likes

Funny, not funny, how white collar crime works.

11 Likes