Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

Thread!

Also:

21 Likes

The hearings on my tv right now to vote on contempt are hitting really hard on the need to enforce those contempt decisions.

Directly on Garland. Long overdue.

14 Likes
17 Likes
17 Likes

Now I really think that they should look at that private email server that maintains a mailing list for all of Justice Clarence Thomas’ present and former clerks (like Eastman), and Ginni Thomas.

15 Likes

15 Likes

The Nixon tapes were only missing 18-1/2 minutes.

12 Likes
8 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/30/trump-used-white-house-phone-call-capitol-attack-jan-6-not-official-log

We knew this - but the White House phone logs were tampered with.

19 Likes
12 Likes

The more I read, the more I understand the concerns of the committee about how this will be broadcast to the public. Most Americans are suffering from tech-induced attention span issues. I doubt they’ll keep everyone’s attention for the same length of time as the Watergate hearings. Hopefully, they can come up with a method that keeps all those simultaneous events and criminal activity highlighted clearly, despite the chaos of the day (and the various means of communication involved in planning it).

17 Likes

Otoh, right-wing media has been blathering the same nonsense for years or decades and have their audience’s full attention. I’m sure there’s a solution, regardless of whether the committee will find it.

4 Likes
7 Likes

:astonished: I hope the judge replied that they’re prone to “bullshit detection.” :roll_eyes:

8 Likes
17 Likes

“D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine seeking to hold those groups, as well as others involved in the violent attack on the Capitol, financially culpable for the millions of dollars in damage they caused, including injuries to Capitol Police officers.

“We’re committed to bankrupting the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys who conspired in the attack,” Racine tweeted.“

Racine told The Washington Post that the goal of the lawsuit is to expose how these groups are financed and to secure “full restitution and recompense” for the damages inflicted on Washington. The largest of these, Racine said, has involved the huge costs incurred treating scores of injured Metro Police officers, including Officer Michael Fanone. Rioters assaulted Fanone with a stun gun and dragged down the Capitol steps, during which he lost consciousness, suffered a heart attack, and had traumatic brain injury.

“If it so happens that it bankrupts or puts these individuals and entities in financial peril, so be it,” the attorney general said in an interview when the case was filed.

“The lawsuit seeks damages under the modern version of the federal Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871, a Reconstruction-era law that, besides outlawing the notorious hate group, also allows individuals to sue when they are injured by their criminal plots. It is modeled in that regard on the recent federal civil lawsuit that found the organizers of the deadly 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, financially culpable for millions and rendering them bankrupt.“

15 Likes

I’m sorry but my client has bad judgement, is predisposed towards bad decisions, and idealizes criminal behavior. Show mercy for that please. Clearly prison is not the answer for those problems…

Damn that’s a defense you would only see made for a white guy if I ever heard one.

21 Likes

Also, your honor, I’d like to point out that my client is an orphan for reasons it’s best not to go into, and so he begs for the mercy of the court.

9 Likes

The one guy worthy of getting a photoshop from Beschizza

13 Likes

Cool-Story-Bro-Asian-Girl-Edition

13 Likes