Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

Whereas I guess because Hillary Clinton wasn’t under any real investigations by the DOJ, it was totally cool for that to interfere with the election? What a stupid rule.

17 Likes

Stupid, and remarkably selectively enforced. Just like Republican laws of all sorts.

19 Likes

You should register as a Republican before trying this.

14 Likes
14 Likes
15 Likes
19 Likes

why is he trying to get antifa released from jail? /s or, wait – is he acknowledging that his supporters were actually responsible for the coup attempt and the five people who died? :thinking:

21 Likes

I’ve been wondering lately if enstating an official “campaign season,” like other countries have might help with this.

18 Likes

From the other side of the pond it feels like your midterm season starts as soon as the President is sworn in, and the next Presidential season has started before the midterms have closed.

20 Likes

Feels like that on this side too. It’s ridiculous how much time our politicians spend not only campaigning, but also raising campaign funds.

21 Likes

Makes me wonder how on earth they find the time to do their jobs in between all that campaigning. I mean, at that rate all those lobbyists will never get their money’s worth.

19 Likes

Or rather, the lobbyists are asked to draft the laws because the politicians don’t have time for it…

19 Likes

Of course he did… we know what these assholes are really like when push comes to shove…

Walter White Insult GIF by Breaking Bad

Thanks so much Citizens United… It was bad before, but that decision just made things a thousand times worse.

21 Likes

They don’t even have to be asked.

The Energy Discrimination Elimination Act is just one of the thousands of pieces of legislation ALEC has disseminated nationwide since its formation in 1973. According to a two-year investigation of “copycat” bills published in 2019 by USA Today, the Arizona Republic and the Center for Public Integrity, state lawmakers introduced nearly 2,900 bills based on ALEC templates from 2010 through 2018. More than 600 of them became law.

18 Likes

You nailed it. I’d add that most politicians don’t have the brains to draft laws or the guts to look inside the sausage.

14 Likes

Well Tom, it was a good idea.

(Eat that, “originalists”!)

16 Likes

You’re not wrong.
Except that the former guy basically never stopped campaigning in his entire term, so that “season” was even longer. And for most of us here, felt even longer than that by a factor of ten. :disappointed:
I find I can’t even listen to the radio news today because of all the speculation. I wish there were some kind of blackout on these kinds of projections for a certain window around Election Day. Maybe just the day of, I don’t know.

15 Likes

My recollection is that he started the 2020 re-election campaign right after his 2017 inauguration. What I (less clearly) remember is that, as a candidate, he’s protected from (perceived) libel and/or had certain privileges that he wouldn’t otherwise have as an elected official (or as neither).

12 Likes

well, he was a wealthy landowner who made his money by enslaving other people, so i can imagine he didn’t want the competition…

take the comparison for what it’s worth:

Jefferson’s peak net worth was $239.7 million in current dollars, [the] main source of wealth came from the land he inherited from his father [and] being the owner of two plantations with about 150 to 200 slaves… [he] was wealthy for most of his life, but he did die with a large sum of debt.

( ^ slight edits for clarity )

11 Likes

My suspicion is that it’s because many of the capitalist folks who support a constant cycle of electioneering are the same folks who support Christmas sales in late October.

9 Likes