Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

12 Likes

Apparently, today’s word for the day is…

“ponders”!

Yes, “ponders”!

Y’know, like… “ponder”… or whatever?

Just something for y’all to ponder.

11 Likes

Holy crap this blow-by-blow is, as my father-in-law used to say, “a real piece of work.”

Damn:

TW: it’s triggering.

ETA: for example, FTA:

Conservative justice Gorsuch ponders whether a finding against Trump would incentivize presidents to ‘pardon themselves’

Before the special counsel’s office began presenting its case, Neil Gorsuch, a conservative justice, pondered whether rejecting Donald Trump’s claim of immunity would cause presidents to preemptively pardon themselves, in fear that a successor could decide to prosecute them.

“What would happen if presidents were under fear, fear that their successors would criminally prosecute them for their acts in office,” asked Gorsuch, who Trump appointed, in an exchange with his attorney John Sauer.

“It seems to me like one of the incentives that might be created as for presidents to try to pardon themselves,” Gorsuch continued, adding, “We’ve never answered whether a president can do that. Happily, it’s never been presented to us.”

“And if the doctrine of immunity remains in place that’s likely to remain the case,” Sauer replied.

Trump’s lawyer went on to argue that a finding against his immunity claim would weaken all future presidents:

The real concern here is, is there going to be bold and fearless action? Is the president going to have to make a controversial decision where his political opponents are going to come after him the minute he leaves office? Is that going to unduly deter, or is that going to dampen the ardor of that president to do what our constitutional structure demands of him or her, which is bold and fearless action in the face of controversy?

“And perhaps, if he feels he has to, he’ll pardon himself every four years from now on,” Gorsuch pondered.

“But that, as the court pointed out, wouldn’t provide the security because the legality of that is something that’s never been addressed,” Sauer replied.

Table Flip GIF

13 Likes

If Gorsuch is worried about preemptive pardoning, then reject immunity and pre-emptive pardoning. Because both concepts are ludicrous.

Vote Dancing GIF by BLK

ETA: I mean, it’s not like this court has shied away from addressing topics peripheral to the question at hand or accepted manufactured or downright nonexistent standing. Why not settle both topics at once? The president is not above the law. The president is not a monarch. Full stop.

14 Likes

14 Likes

12 Likes

… if only somebody had the power to fix that :thinking:

9 Likes

say that again benedict cumberbatch GIF by BBC

5 Likes

Is he suggesting Biden will be in danger if the orange shitgibbon is elected? Because the shitgibbon is being criminally prosecuted by independent counsel, not Biden or the AG, and that doesn’t even count the state level prosecutions of the orange shitgibbon. Lying asshole.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Jan. 6 ‘chaos agent’ John Earle Sullivan sentenced to 6 years in prison

Sullivan, known online as “Jayden X” and “Activist John,” was convicted of multiple felonies for his role in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/national/capitol-riots/chaos-agent-john-earle-sullivan-activist-who-filmed-ashli-babbitt-shooting-sentenced-to-6-years-in-prison-jayden-x/65-5da38e9d-c178-446c-aaa0-3dc4567a966f

10 Likes

Every time I see Babbitt’s name, it makes me wonder if felony murder was one of the charges. :thinking:

6 Likes

5 years in the slammer.

11 Likes

And the more dipshits like him are locked up, that’s one less Trump voter!

9 Likes

Biden awards Medal of Freedom to 19 recipients, including Pelosi, Clyburn

The president .commended Pelosi for what he said was defending democracy on Jan. 6, 2021 and said that history will remember her as the greatest Speaker in the House of Representatives.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4642288-biden-awards-medal-of-freedom-to-19-recipients-including-pelosi-clyburn/

3 Likes

Zapata submitted at least seven anonymous tips to the FBI’s website claiming that seven government employees and contractors were involved in the Capitol riot, according to an FBI task force officer’s affidavit.

Court records don’t identify which government agency employed Zapata, but the affidavit says the Chantilly resident previously worked with all seven people named in his false tips to the FBI. One of them had hired Zapata and served as his program manager.

“None of the seven government employees and contractors were in Washington, D.C., on January 6 or attacked the Capitol,” the affidavit says.

10 Likes

There will always be assholes. It’s an inexhaustible resource. I hate it.

11 Likes

Related:

(Free link)

5 Likes

Meh. I find other people’s vacation videos boring.

/s

11 Likes

Ok yeah that is weird:

Twists and turns; some data points for me.

6 Likes