Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

“Get away with sedition by using this one weird trick!”

(@RickMycroft (and possibly others) beat me to it, six months ago, but I’m just now making my way thru the thread…)

10 Likes

NAL, but that sounds mighty frivolous.

(As everyone else pointed out, I know exactly what the lawyer meant, but I am nagged by the detail that the Capitol (as of yesterday afternoon, when I last drove past it) is in the middle of the city, not out in a mid-continental cornfield)

One time I came out of the lavatory that way. If I wore ties more often I might’ve remembered to reset it.

ETA: Now that I'm all caught up, and can't make a 3rd consecutive post:

A struggle to manage huge amounts of video evidence is delaying hundreds of Jan. 6 Capitol breach cases as many of more than 500 people charged now wait for U.S. prosecutors to produce records that could help defendants decide whether to face trial or plead guilty.

The timetable means that even jailed individuals at top priority are unlikely to go to trial before January or even next spring… Nearly, but not all, defendants are accepting delays so far, finding it to be in their interest. Judges up until now have also found that waiting for the government to dig through a mass of data serves justice and the public interest — but with diminishing patience.

5 Likes

…and thus, that’s when the rioters will start turning on each other in the most pitiful ways imaginable.

11 Likes

Maybe they will, if this guy gets a sentence that’s actually commensurate with his crimes. I’m not especially hopeful for that.

10 Likes

If he gets any sentence at all, that will be more than most white men like him ever get, so yes, they’ll start paying attention. Consequences for their actions? What is this heresy now?

11 Likes

Fingers crossed it’s not a “suspended” sentence.

9 Likes

The long and the short of the article is that these idiots couldn’t even put together a proper coup and they couldn’t agree if antifa is to blame or not for the damage they saw go on with their own eyes. The real questions I expect the investigation on the hill to look at is about who bused and flew these folks in and if they knew of their intentions of a coup because quite a few of them sounded like they’re barely capable of tying their own shoe laces let alone known how would they get to DC by themselves.

9 Likes

A slap on the wrist

10 Likes

Or a sign that he’s agreed to cooperate?

4 Likes

“The sentence is less than the 1.5-year sentence that the Justice Department asked for. Hodgkins was seeking probation.”

Slap on the wrist, it seems like.

5 Likes

I hope so

1 Like

A felony and 8 months seems fine for the guy, he’s permanently a second-class citizen in most places now. Probation is a slap on the wrist here. The people saying it should be 8 years are the people I disagree with on this.

3 Likes

The circus is coming to DC

8 Likes
17 Likes

McCarthy is expected to name Rep. Jim Banks (Ind.) as the ranking member, as well as Reps. Jim Jordan (Ohio), Rodney Davis (Ill.), Kelly Armstrong (N.D.) and Troy Nehls (Texas). The lawmakers were expected to meet with McCarthy in his office at the Capitol on Monday evening.

All five of McCarthy’s picks voted against impeaching Trump for inciting the Jan. 6 attack, and three of them ― Banks, Jordan and Nehls ― voted against certifying the 2020 Electoral College votes from Arizona and Pennsylvania. Jordan could become a witness in the investigation.

4 Likes

Giving the benefit of the doubt, is this perhaps meant to ensure no one can claim that Trumpist Republicans weren’t an integral part of the committee?

Because they will, anyway, so why even try to accommodate them?

6 Likes

100 ft to insanity. JHC

You have wonder at what point the football holder is authorized to use deadly force.

9 Likes

Is…is the football just a big red button in a briefcase that just launches all the nukes?

2 Likes

IIRC, no.
there are keys, codes, instructions and coms. if i am not mistaken, it takes two officials to initiate a launch.
anyone, please feel free to correct me. I may be relying on too much action movie/tv to be certain

7 Likes

An deleted scene from The West Wing

3 Likes