Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

Six months and that’s with a guilty plea.

8 Likes

Should this record not have resulted in a much more serious sentence? IANAL, but this seems not right.

8 Likes

The article says that it’s the statutory maximum (the judge even said, “I am not in a position to be able to impose a longer sentence than that.”) It was a misdemeanor, after all, but I wonder what he would have been charged with had he not pled guilty? In any case, the people who did even worse things on January 6 should be pissing their pants now.

8 Likes

What is with all the “self-governed” citizens and “sovereign” citizens in this group? And whose roads did they drive on to get there? You want to be “sovereign” fine, but get offa my infrastructure.

17 Likes

https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1415276268526919680

After gathering screenshots showing the five members of the Munn family inside the Capitol, investigators say they further confirmed the family members’ identities through interviews with three people familiar with the family in Texas – including two employees at a local Borger high school “who had taught multiple Munn children,” and an employee at a college who taught two of the Munn children.

8 Likes

As usual, The Root’s spin on this was great! :laughing:

12 Likes

Curzio was charged along with 3 others with the following offenses

• 18 U.S.C. § 1752(a)(1)(Entering and Remaining in a Restricted
    Building)
  • 18 U.S.C. § 1752(a)(2)
    (Disorderly and Disruptive Conduct in a
    Restricted Building)

(1)a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, if—
(A) the person, during and in relation to the offense, uses or carries a deadly or dangerous weapon or firearm; or
(B) the offense results in significant bodily injury as defined by section 2118(e)(3); and
(2)
a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than one year, or both, in any other case.

• 40 U.S.C. § 5104(e)(2)(A)
    (Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in : a Capitol Building)

(b)Other Offenses.—

A person violating section 5103 or 5104(b), (c), (d), (e)(2), or (f) of this title, or attempting to commit a violation, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

• 40 U.S.C. § 5104(e)(2)(G)
    (Parading, Demonstrating, or Picketing in : a Capitol Building)

A person violating section 5103 or 5104(b), (c), (d), (e)(2), or (f) of this title, or attempting to commit a violation, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

So, unless he had a gun, or inflicted serious bodily injury, six months doesn’t seem like a huge step down in return for a guilty plea. Of course, he could have ratted someone out.

3 Likes

“that Milley and other top officials informally planned for different ways to stop Trump, according to excerpts of an upcoming book obtained by CNN.“

Looks like they planned to resign one at a time - all the way down the line. To delay Trump and give time for resistance.

They were too right wing for the military.

19 Likes
5 Likes

And yet Milley marched right down the street in uniform for Trumpy’s Bible photo-op.

4 Likes

Yes he did. To his credit he apologized.

“ “As many of you saw the result of the photograph of me at Lafayette Square last week, that sparked a national debate about the role of the military in civil society. I should not have been there,” Milley continued.

“My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics. As a commissioned uniformed officer, it was a mistake that I have learned from, and I sincerely hope we all can learn from it.”

Additionally:

And pushed back against complaints about the military studying critical race theory against idiot Congressmen.

Not saying he was perfect- but he certainly pushed back against his chain of command right up to the top of it.

18 Likes

Sure, but I would hope that our nation’s top military leaders could make the right decision the first time.

2 Likes

I would hope that our voters didn’t elect Trump. But the world and my hopes have a somewhat strained relationship.

15 Likes

It’s almost as if these folks have some serious impulse control issues

10 Likes
10 Likes

Adding this story on the 2 because of the photo of their fake credit cards:

11 Likes

story link : Trump Supporter: Capitol Rioters 'There to Overthrow the Government': Book

17 Likes

Eh-- coincidence. It would be as if two environmental activists were arrested wearing this mysterious insignia.

3 Likes

/s

Cfda Awards 2019 GIF by CFDA

11 Likes

“just”

6 Likes