Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

There is no way that the intention of the insurrection could have been to delay the certification without it being explicitly directed to do so from top level decision makers. Proud boys etc. don’t have any insight into Alito’s thinking.

12 Likes

Alito a traitor?

NoWay

11 Likes

i thought maybe there were some constitutional questions at hand as well because the constitution mandates a specific day, and so if it doesn’t happen on that day then …?

( though technically i guess the former president is booted that day automatically regardless, no ceremony needed. but it could be possible to have no president for a while. )

5 Likes
19 Likes

I wonder which word of “I didn’t defecate on the desk” the defense is emphasizing?

13 Likes

have these sorts of people ever taken responsibility for… well… anything?

it’s definitely the word ‘i’

5 Likes
18 Likes

Oh really?

12 Likes

I’m not contemplating defecating on anyone’s desk RIGHT NOW!

12 Likes

I wasn’t either. Until someone mentioned it.

6 Likes

Judgement doesn’t seem much like a deterrent does it?

14 Likes

“did not contemplate defecating on anyone’s desk”

There’s a lot of extra words in there, doing the weasel’s work. While in the Capitol Building, did he defecate or not?

14 Likes

I really hope investigators took DNA samples from the insurrectionists and from the desktop deposits. Match that shit up!

14 Likes

Credible threats of violence against Democratic women in government are never treated nearly as seriously as jokes about the president.

16 Likes

Yep. Someone sitting home yelling at their TV set is worlds removed from a “militia” besieging the Capitol and breaking into her office looking for her.

15 Likes

They’re not in control of their bowels. Or any other body part.

7 Likes

The Hill refers to WUSA-TV as its source:

Before he accepted her plea, Sullivan asked federal prosecutors why Bancroft was only facing misdemeanor charges, given the apparent threat on the Speaker’s life she had recorded. Justice Department lawyers said they had determined the video was recorded after Bancroft and Santos-Smith had already entered and then left the building, and so decided not to prosecute it. Bancroft’s attorney also said the video was only sent to relatives and not posted online.
That was also true, however, of another Capitol riot defendant who did wind up charged with threatening Pelosi: Cleveland Grover Meredith Jr., of Georgia. Earlier this month, Meredith pleaded guilty to one count of transmitting a threat in interstate commerce – a federal felony – for texting a relative that he was, “Thinking about heading over to Pelosi C****’s speech and putting a bullet in her noggin on Live TV.”

And that person wasn’t even there on Jan. 6 – he was, however, well-armed.

Bancroft told the judge the comment was a “stupid” joke make in “the hype of the moment.” He told her it was up to the DOJ to decide whether to charge her with making threats or not, but that it was going to come back up at her sentencing.
"We’re going to talk about that statement more come time of sentencing,” he said. “Because I’m very trouble. Very troubled. So… I want you to start thinking about your motivations behind that statement.”

What possible answer could the judge expect from the defendant other than “I didn’t mean that, I was just kidding?”

14 Likes
16 Likes
12 Likes

Follow the money.

15 Likes