Attempted Coup in the United States: Tracking Investigations and Fallout

Trump Allies Defy Subpoenas to Testify in Jan. 6 Riot Probe

“Two allies of former President Donald Trump will not appear Thursday as initially ordered to provide closed-door testimony to a House committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, according to multiple people.”

Looks like Bannon’s going to take one for the team.

“The criminal offense of contempt of Congress sets the penalty at not less than one month nor more than twelve months in jail and a fine of not more than $100,000 or less than $100.”

Hardly a deterrent for traitors. A firing squad is however.

17 Likes

It quickly becomes obvious that fines are “crime vouchers” for the rich.

20 Likes

Assuming they ever stop “[being] prepared” to even fine him in the first place and actually do it…

13 Likes

Fucking lock them up already

15 Likes
12 Likes

A handful of Capitol breach defendants have aggressively raised concerns, but the same problems face hundreds of D.C. jail inmates awaiting trial, most of them on local charges.

I might’ve put this in the lede, or at least closer to it:

Some veteran defense lawyers privately noted that complaints raised on behalf of mostly White and conservative Jan. 6 defendants appears to have won more traction from some political quarters than abuse claims brought by poorer Black and Hispanic defendants who make up the bulk of the jail population.

16 Likes

“We reject his position entirely,” the committee’s chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) said in a statement."

"The Select Committee will not tolerate defiance of our subpoenas, so we must move forward with proceedings to refer Mr. Bannon for criminal contempt. I’ve notified the Select Committee that we will convene for a business meeting Tuesday evening to vote on adopting a contempt report."

https://www.axios.com/steve-bannon-subpoena-jan-6-bea1dac5-9d19-4545-a92f-204b345c5951.html

What’s five days right? They’ve known that Bannon would be a no show for a while now so why isn’t the paperwork done and ready to go RIGHT NOW?

Quickly means means something far far from else in the halls of the US Government. Rounds and rounds of golf (meetings) and highballs between every move right?

12 Likes

Looking at Bannon’s face- he’s going to need a bigger toilet to meet his pruno needs.

6 Likes

BlueLiars

17 Likes

Putting my money on this being a magat.

18 Likes

I hear there’s a vacancy in Epstein’s old cell.

4 Likes

Never thought I’d be on the side of arterial plaque. :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

Politics makes strange sickbedfellows.

10 Likes

He said patriotism motivated him to join. Asked if he thought being a member of an anti-government militia might conflict with his role as a law enforcement officer, [he] said he didn’t give it any thought.

( if you read it, be warned there’s some pretty racist images in the article. )

14 Likes

Nothing shows your commitment to opposing government better than working for it.

18 Likes

Julie Jenkins Fancelli gave $150,000 to the non-profit arm of the Republican Attorneys General Association, according to records reviewed by The Washington Post, a donation that may have paid for a robocall urging people to march on the U.S. Capitol to force Congress to “stop the steal.

This is according to a Washington Post article. So, if anyone can get past that paywall…

7 Likes

Gods, some days I really hate people. Imagine this lady, more money than she’ll ever need, she can do almost anything: fly around the world in a hot air balloon, build community programs, create art, sponsor art, build an animal rescue shelter, and what does she do? Try to overthrow democracy. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

23 Likes

If I still lived in Florida-da, I guess I’d have to change to Albertson’s. And I used to work for Publix.

11 Likes

we have switched to newly renovated Winn-Dixie and like it.
while Ms. Francelli has no direct doings with the family’s supermarket chain, we have largely moved our business to W-D due to Publix’s coziness with our little emperor, MoRon. don’t like that one bit, no sir.

12 Likes

“non-profit”
“paid for the insurrection”
“robocall”
“attorneys general association”

in a saner world those phrases would no closer than arms length apart, and preferably some of them would run off in fear

10 Likes