Attempted gunpoint robbery of cyclist recorded on helmet camera

I always ride fast and try to look crazy when I ride through a slightly scary park on my way home from work.

2 Likes

Good thing the guy wasn’t cycling through the U.S. It would have been a real gun, but he’d probably never get to that point because he would have been run over by a motorist long before.

8 Likes

Seriously? I figured he honestly didn’t understand what the guy was saying, and given how terrified he was, also missed the fairly obvious body language.

That’s, um, probably not what I would have done. I mean, I don’t know, who knows what my adrenal gland might have come up with, but I think I’d have given the man my backpack.

I know, right? If you know it’s a rough area, leave your wedding ring and fancy camera in your room, and carry a cheap nylon wallet with little enough money that you’ll have no hesitation handing it over.

2 Likes

And the eternal fight between cyclists and motorists is renewed…

Her’es a crazy thought - how about speaking the local language?

For 195 countries? That’s a lot of work.

5 Likes

So the waving the gun about and threatening to rob him was the welcoming part, and the not actually robbing him was the gracious part?

2 Likes

when you’re basically seeking out trouble

Riding a bike down the street while wearing a nice backpack?

Victim blaming.

1 Like

When I got mugged my train of thought was “Hold onto my wallet for now and consider giving it up if they produce a weapon or if the level of force escalates.” The guys ended up giving up when my friends turned around and they realized I was not by myself. Not wanting to let some asshole help himself to what you worked hard to earn for is valid, too. I wanted to find a two by four and smash the guys’ heads afterward. I wonder if this guy felt similar rage.

2 Likes

I’m hoping the mugger’s buddies will find this video and taunt him with cries of “La mochilla! La mochilla!” whenever they see him.

4 Likes

I’m thinking a lot of countries in South America speak Spanish or Portugese. In fact, all of them…

1 Like

My very first night outside of Canada as a 20 year old was in Amsterdam, lost. An individual approached me and tried to mug me in about 4 languages. At first I had no idea what he was saying, but by the time he worked his way around to French I had clued in. I didn’t feel a lot of danger (he had his hand in his coat pocket with a finger pointing at me - I think). I could see a police officer a half block away, and the mugger was trying to be quiet and low key in his robbery. Eventually, while I played the dumb and incomprehending tourist, he just shrugged and walked away.

If he had pulled out a gun I would have handed him whatever he wanted, or possibly just screamed and ran away as fast as I could. Life is not an action movie.

2 Likes

I am certainly in favor of learning foreign languages. However never going anywhere without speaking the language seems horribly limiting, even if you aren’t on a gimmicky tour around the world.

2 Likes

In no way is what I’m about to be saying sane or safe – but I’ve been mugged before, and instinctively (while watching) I thought that if someone came that close to me with the gun still stuck in their pocket in a straight-arm pose, I’d bear hug them and try to bit their nose off.

Like I said, not sane or safe, but that’s what my lizard brain was telling me to do.

2 Likes

I carry my $4,000 DSLR everywhere, but it’s a messenger-style bag that doesn’t scream “camera bag.” In this video you can hear him at the end saying “OK, I’ll put my camera away,” which suggests he was carrying his camera outside his bag.

You don’t even have to appear particularly poor or imposing to be safe: you just have to appear to be the second-most appealing target in the area.

“Amigo! Amigo!”

1 Like

Yes, yelling ‘friend’ repeatedly doesn’t qualify as speaking the language. If it did I would speak at least 7 languages fluently.

Sure, in general. But if I was on a bicycle tour of South America where I was supposed to be interacting with people enough to prove that we’re all awesome together (which I do believe), I think I would want to take the effort to at least speak Spanish enough to get by.

Is that really controversial?

1 Like

I was agreeing with you.

For someone who grew up in Texas and was on a trip to every country in South America, I would expect a bit more Spanish. I don’t know if I would be able to say anything if I had a gun pulled on me, but I probably wouldn’t keep saying ‘amigo!’

2 Likes

Despite having never been in imminent danger, I wish I had a dollar for every time my brain screamed, “Get me somewhere else!” in exactly that voice.