Attempting to gun down a puppy, a Texas woman gutshot her own 5-year-old son

Please.

15 Likes

Where did you see that the Department of Family Services (or whatever it’s called there) is involved? As far as I can tell, she’s been charged with a crime but is not in jail and there’s no mention of taking the child away from her.

5 Likes

Child protective services (or CPS)…and sorry, I should have been clearer. I didn’t mean they are. Just that I think her not carrying a loaded firearm around her son is something that should be enforced.

6 Likes

Clearly you’re not in Texas.

5 Likes

The stars at night, are big and bright
right before we shoot your puppy!

10 Likes

Time to change the flag to a picture of Ned & Jimbo with the text “it’s coming right for us!”

gun shoot GIF by South Park

8 Likes

Fixed.

19 Likes

Did they take her gun away? Because I’m pretty sure Texas law states that not having a sidearm at all times means she’s unable to properly protect her children, and being unable to protect her children would make her an unfit mother and CPS would have no choice but to take her kids. No gun, no kid. Simple as that. It’s what responsible parenting looks like in a well-armed society.

21 Likes

And to everyone around her; human, dog, cat, bird, etc.

13 Likes

I mean, Christ, if you felt that in danger she could have just as easily, I dunno, kicked the dog away? Not tried to kill it, FFS. Even setting all this aside, you don’t need to be a dog person to tell the not-so-subtle differences between “overly excited” and “murderous rage”.

But why try to use any sort of critical thinking skills when you have a perfectly good gun on hand, right? The “if all you have is a hammer” proverb at work, I guess.

It’s Texas. She’s more likely to get a medal.

9 Likes

Listen, I understand that many if not all Texans are expert shootists and are certainly able to quickdraw, but this lady seemed awful fucking primed to take 3 shots at a puppy that quick.

Imagine that instead of being lazy and fashionable, carrying a .22 cal around for snapping off shots at things too small to do any harm – she was truly flying the flag of Texas and unloaded her sensible 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun loaded with buckshot into the cement next to a puppy? Her child might have no face.

9 Likes

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

6 Likes

gun-totting

Also, Texas smh

1 Like

Can’t imagine the sort of cowardly, cold-hearted monster whose response to an excited puppy is to try to kill it. I’d say that child is not safe with her, but she’s already proven it.

Also, FFS, never visiting Texas again for the rest of my goddamn life.

10 Likes

Early neutering is now out of fashion. The Gods of Google tell me that vets recommend neutering boxers after age two, some push that to age four. As a former volunteer at a rescue I totally disagree, but the age for “responsible” neutering is getting pushed back.

3 Likes

Yup. I didn’t check the puppy’s age and jumped to conclusions. @jlw quite rightly called me out on that. Again, mea culpa.

4 Likes

Basic firearms safety: know what you’re shooting at and know what’s behind what you’re shooting at. Because bullets don’t just magically disappear if they don’t hit their targets.

10 Likes

Aside from this lady, who in the hell thinks it’s a good idea to bring a gun on a bicycling outing with family in the middle of the day?

21 Likes

that definitely doesn’t sound like the narrative the owner gave. the owner thought his brother was there because the dog was barking, he opened the door presumably in part to quiet the dog down and let it go meet his brother.

i too get annoyed by dog owners who believe that their dog is an angel everyone should love. when i go for jogs, if i get anywhere near the park nearby, there is inevitably a dog that will chase after me. i have yet to be bitten – but it only takes once to be injured.

that said… obviously, the person who shot at this doggo was completely and totally in the wrong. if she was worried for her kid, she could have picked her kid up.

5 Likes

ah yes. if only she’d shot her gun correctly all would have been well. :roll_eyes:

her first error was purchasing a gun to carry around with her. she’s lucky she made it as long as she did without it firing accidentally, or having her kid find it and think it was a toy.

[eta]

what this country needs is many less guns than we currently have.

12 Likes