Attorney Michael van der Veen laughed at during impeachment hearing

At no point did I think they would vote to convict. Hell, I didn’t even think they’d be split 57-43! Still, I can’t help feeling deeply saddened by this outcome. All of the process that has been laid out in excruciating detail since the election — the state certifications, the electoral college votes, the Senate certification and now impeachment — have really driven home how important it is to go through this minutiae and allow the people to see their representatives enacting their will (or not). To see how utterly mundane and drab even the most consequential of procedures are and must be for the sake of representative democracy. To see that those who are on the wrong side of history can stare mountains of damning evidence down and still make cold, political calculations. It’s at once very affirming of our democracy and also utterly depressing. But it’s something we must go through. I feel more aligned with my nation and its Constitution than ever, even though it has shown that it is rarely aligned with me.

In a thousand years, maybe even a hundred, we will shake our heads at the sham and artifice that guide our society, but for now it’s about as good as it gets.

charlie-brown-sigh|nullxnull

15 Likes

Sigh.

9 Likes

Can someone give me a banana to look at, please? All I want is just to look at it. Just… look at it.

9 Likes

I know the feeling. It was predictable, yet still profoundly disappointing.

14 Likes

Thanks. Sometimes the bananas are all we have.

8 Likes

(For the dog people in need of a banana.)

14 Likes

Jackass misplains the law to a room more than half full of law school graduates, a former district attorney and a judge and wonders why they’re laughing at him.

What a tool.

11 Likes

13 Likes

Just look at them eating!

8 Likes

yeah, i guess the part that im realizing is that the reason they complain about left leaning reality based academics, tech leaders, and reporters is that those people are challenging their previous unassailable white privilege.

those are the “elites” who they hate, because they’re losing their own elite status to them.

( there are plenty of educated trump supporters. while education increases the chance people will examine and challenge their own privilege, there are still some who examine their privilege and then decide they want more. )

7 Likes

It appears Trump’s lawyers could have literally been a couple of flies on a log and he still would have been acquitted. Also in answer, Santa Monica says…

5 Likes

Just look at it!

Hope this helps.

11 Likes

We will always have pedantry.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.