Watch Trump's defense attorney Michael van der Veen tear his mic off in TV interview

Originally published at: Watch Trump's defense attorney Michael van der Veen tear his mic off in TV interview | Boing Boing

7 Likes

He seems nice!

It has been a while since I saw a face that read, “do not turn your back on this one” quite so clearly.

22 Likes

Honestly, he’s exactly the lawyer trump wanted all along. He doesn’t bother with factual legal rebuttals, but rather shoots from the hip with impassioned nonsense that (he thinks) deflects the accusations. In reality, they all look like rubes and we’re all left shaking our heads wondering how anyone can be fooled by such simple-mindedness.

27 Likes

I listened to his closing arguments the other day and could barely contain my rage at the outright falsehoods and sheer audacity at ignoring established facts. You could just tell that he knew it didn’t matter what he said because the outcome had already been predetermined.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/13/politics/fact-check-trump-impeachment-van-der-veen-closing-argument/index.html

21 Likes

He’s the only kind of lawyer Trump could get. And to be fair as the OP noted he didn’t really matter. The jury had decided the case long before it started.

12 Likes

Wish the newsperson had asked him whether it was accepted legal and ethical practice to meet privately with the jurors in a case before they’d given a verdict. Now that would have been a massive example of high dudgeon I suspect.

10 Likes

Oh he seems perfect for getting the judges to be sympathetic.

4 Likes

He’s the perfect person to speak to the reptile brain and the underbelly. All emotion and no logic or substance. This is the man who will announce the emperor in his new clothes. Mr. Gaslight Esq.

13 Likes

slime

2 Likes

TV lawyer’s gonna TV-lawyer.

3 Likes

Ah, so he took the case on a contingency fee. Way to outsmart those other lawyers who got stiffed by Drumpf.

5 Likes

Christ what an asshole

5 Likes

He lies. He calls a question “slanted”. I listened to it twice. It wasn’t. He puts words in her mouth, then gets all het up about what he wants her to have said. This guy is - just from this interview alone - a dangerous liar.

12 Likes

"You don’t want a criminal lawyer. You want a criminal lawyer.

18 Likes

If you don’t have the facts or the law on your side, talk over your interviewer.

12 Likes

Well, he had at least three others on the team. One was sidelined after day one and the others didn’t make nearly the splash Peener did even though Schoen tried the whole “mad cop” routine. My only point is that I’m sure trump loved his unhinged, falsehood-laden approach and Peener knows how far that can take someone in trump world as long as you toe the line.

3 Likes

“‘To be fair’, that’s what you said.”

Actually, no she didn’t She said, “To be clear.” He was getting mad at assuming she had a position or point, when she was just making a clarifying statement about what he was talking about.

7 Likes

This “slip and fall” lawyer seems to be leaving such a slimy trail through the halls of Congress, I’m surprised they don’t have janitorial staff assigned to him…you know, so people won’t slip and fall.

7 Likes

Yeah. I couldn’t help but think he was projecting what he would’ve asked or how he would’ve intended such a question.
Seeing a grown, professional man get so visibly irritated at such an innocuous attempt at clarifying the facts is alarming, though. He should not be in a position of power over anyone!

ETA: also, I’m annoyed they let him rant so long on the air. Don’t give this guy a platform.

3 Likes

He has resting angry-emoji face

1 Like