Trump acquitted again

Originally published at: Trump acquitted again | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Still seven more members of his own party voting against him than any prior President had, so that’s something I guess.

54 Likes

Just read that the Repubs threatened to filibuster Covid relief if any witnesses were called. Fucking assholes. I have to think Dem logic was that they would not get enough repubs for conviction and were not willing to sacrifice Covid for it.

60 Likes

So we’re basically all agreed that the entire system is (and always has been) fundamentally incapable of dealing with behavior that threatens the fundamental operation of the federal government, right?

83 Likes

So when will the criminal or civil prosecution begin? Bueller? Bueller?

26 Likes

If only Dems were as willing to sacrifice American lives as the Republicans to get what they want?

16 Likes

Why would anyone expect a bunch of fascists to hold one of their own responsible for being…well…a fascist?

36 Likes

Aaaaand another reason for the filibuster to go.

26 Likes

I thought the Covid relief was being done through the reconciliation process to avoid the filibuster.

More likely, this is Biden saying “you’re never going to get enough votes, you know it, everyone knows it. Get it over with and let’s move on to my agenda. Shit’s gotta get done.”

21 Likes

I said it like a week or so ago but a solid plan b would have been opening up a great deal of transparency about the pervious admin and it’s staffers (i’m guessing quite a bit of it can be done with executive actions & various fiddling by subcommittees) and forcing everyone running for president to release their taxes and null legal penalties for breaking NDAs.

The house and senate also needs to go throw a lot of cash to the FBI and other investigative powers specifically to go after the rioters on Jan 6th. They can’t let cash be an issue at any moment to not go after these folks. They might have to consider letting low level offenders in federal prisons out of jail to make room for a few hundred rioters. I’m not even fucking joking. Examples need to be made and made quite clear.

The dems have to now go out of their way to make sure the gop won’t be able to wash the stink of this off of themselves. There’s a ton of stuff that needs to be done and this is time consuming but it need to be done to try to prevent more funny business from happening in 2022 & 2024.

One more thing. What is up with this spineless fuck?

29 Likes

Indeed, filibusters seem like the political version of, “I’ll scream, and scream, and scream, until I’m sick!” A Childish, playground tactic that needs to be stamped out.

I know that Trump was the poster child for burning down the house; but the rest of the Republican Party are just as bad. They never want to do anything constructive, and so there is no way from the Dems to block their plans or censure them.

11 Likes

And so it begins, the great split of the Republican Party!

giphy (11)

I mean, it’s a shitty day and I’d love to have seen more Republican senators do the right thing, but I do think they’ve just split themselves even further. Their winning back congressional majorities looks harder than ever now to me.

26 Likes

With the added benefit of not actually having to do any of the screaming or getting sick.

16 Likes

The republicans have failed to give meaningful covid relief for over a year now. I think we could wait another week to show how much more evil they are.

15 Likes

Seriously, from the outside perspective, it is amazing how this whole thing of a political system In the US worked. It’s not the Republicans. At least not JUST the Republicans.

8 Likes

I’m going to call it “8 more votes to remove, from one’s own party”, over the 3 articles of impeachment TMF faced in aggregate.

4 Likes

ill_allow_it_community|nullxnull

27 Likes

In the moment the GOP was trying to use the call for a witness as a wedge to demand dozens or hundreds of witnesses as well.

That’s basically what Trump’s lawyer was shouting about when the floor erupted in laughter.

5 Likes

Poor USA. Trump is done, but the next republican nimrod president knows that he’s got nothing to fear, so push it a little more. The really wild times are still to come.

25 Likes

I think that it only just about approaches functionality if both sides agree to play by the rules. The Republicans have said, “Fuck it, we’ll do what we want and there’s nothing you can do about it.” and the Democrats haven’t been able to come up with a counter move.

24 Likes