Dems expected to take Georgia and the U.S. Senate

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/05/dems-expected-to-take-georgia-and-the-u-s-senate.html

23 Likes

Really, Schumer? That’s the best the senate Dems can do? :roll_eyes:

25 Likes

The DNC again owes their victory to Civil Rights activists and People of Color.

One of the new Senators was John Lewis’ pastor, the other was his intern. Stacey Abrams turned out the votes in a state where she was robbed of an election. And now the person who will be casting the tie-breaking vote in the Senate is a woman of color from Oakland.

89 Likes

I was jaded and really didn’t think sanity would win.

I nearly fell over in rapture the second I saw that headline, and it was instant pleasure.

It was exactly this feeling

27 Likes

They have 2 years - they need to get it done or the energy to keep supporting these election turnouts is going to drop into the gutter.

If they think they can fart around even for a second - they will hand the country over to the loonies.

Start with reform so that this can never happen again.

63 Likes

Ossoff has pulled ahead and the networks have called the race for Warnock.

22 Likes

So much this. The reason that Abrams was successful is that she fought so hard for turnout and against voter suppression. The democrats need to do everything they can to make voter suppression illegal.

54 Likes

Ossoff has 6. Warnock has 2.

Well, now there’s a chance. HR1 died in McConnell’s legislative graveyard, but with a D majority, maybe something can happen here.

If nothing else at least we can get some actual governing happening - not like the past 6 years of Republican gridlock and obstruction.

As an aside, thank you GA’s Democratic voters for this gift. Hopefully we can get some real change now.

34 Likes

But there’s another Senate election in 2, and IIRC the map is less favorable to Dems than it was this year, when they’ve only just barely managed to squeak out a tie.

No time to waste.

28 Likes

Yes, and may all Confederate statues be melted down into a giant one of her. But let’s not overlook the context in which she works. As Rebecca Solnit points out,

Stacey Abrams is awesome and brilliant, but I kind of feel like people are doing to her what they did to Rosa Parks: decontextualizing someone who’s a vital part of an organizing community to make a lone hero. In the long run recognizing that civil society and grassroots and electoral power is collective and someone like Abrams matters as a catalyst for and with a lot of other people seems useful for our own work as organizers and supporters of organizers. I think AOC was trying to indicate that, or maybe she just knows how many people it took to produce what look like shining results tonight. As you know I’m not a fan of lone hero narratives, because they mislead us about how change works. Power is collective. We change the world together.

Abrams herself spreads the credit around (which is one of the signs of a great organizer): “With new votes joining the tally, we are on a strong path. But even while we wait for more, let’s celebrate the extraordinary organizers, volunteers, canvassers & tireless groups that haven’t stopped going since Nov. Across our state, we roared. A few miles to go…but well done!”

51 Likes

I suppose the most optimistic read is “the Democrats have two years to do such a kick-ass job that the 2022 midterms defy conventional wisdom and the voters give them at least two more.”

26 Likes

And another House election. I agree that these next two years are crucial on all fronts. Time to make shit happen.

23 Likes

Holy crap, can’t sleep. But it’s still FAR too close for comfort.

Imagine the results if the GOP hadn’t confused their voters?!

28 Likes

Meither neither! Whoda thunk it!?

ezgif-6-fff743949eac

23 Likes

I don’t think it is, but he’s the one most likely to get the job. I don’t pretend to understand the process, but it seems similar to selecting pop stars and executives, which means that whatever the requirements are, actually being good at the job doesn’t seem to be part of it.

4 Likes

The good feelings I’m starting to have here, are like when a headache finally stops.

Not going to really go above baseline ‘meh’ until the dems do something constructive with their lead. I’ve seen them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory too many times now, not going to assume anything now.

14 Likes

ALL YOU BASE ARE BELONG TO US. YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME.

36 Likes

After four long years, we finally get to go from the Bad Place to the Good Place!

10 Likes

Somebody get Stacey Abrams a Nobel Peace Prize or a Medal of Honor or something. She’s earned it!

17 Likes

**Pack your shetz Trump you are D O N E . This double win validates any doubt that you lost control of your own party and have sealed their fate. The sun will finally come out tomorrow for the working poor and middle class. The racist right has been defeated . God Bless America and thank you Georgia and a big hug to Stacy Abrams… I am so happy I cannot even sleep! **

18 Likes