Elections 2021 and 2022

I know it seems like we JUST finished with last year’s elections, BUT, this year has some local off-year elections and discussions about 2022 are already underway in some high profile national elections, so might as well start now…

12 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I would take him in a heartbeat over this Trumpian asshat

But seriously, is McAuliffe the best we can do?

8 Likes

Interesting takes on the PA GOP and Democratic candidates, party infighting, and upcoming changes to the congressional map:

9 Likes

About that VA gov race

“The convention is about disenfranchising as many voters as possible, which seems to be the GOP way lately,” Riggleman said.

That’s about the right summary for Republicans in general, though.

8 Likes

And this

4 Likes

Ugh…

7 Likes

Big news this morning!

Alison Brie What GIF

7 Likes

I wonder if getting sued by the governor and personally attacked because of her efforts to require masks in the city had something to do with this.

7 Likes

Could be? But also, I’m sure that some were unhappy with how she handled protests after the death of Rayshard Brooks? And they did just end up reinstating the cop who shot him on a technicality. Could also be she got an offer within the national democratic party establishment? Or maybe wants to run for governor?

Whatever it is, she’s just not saying.

5 Likes

The field so far…

5 Likes

No No No GIF

Brendan Steinhauser, an Austin-based Republican strategist, told Politico, which reported the McConaughey calls, he was “a little more surprised that people aren’t taking him more seriously, honestly. “Celebrity in this country counts for a lot … it’s not like some C-list actor no one likes. He has an appeal.”

I’m guessing the lack of interest is partially due to the last 4 years of a “celebrity” in the white house, asshole.

10 Likes
6 Likes

There’s still a lot of work to do before next year, in addition to the fight against voter suppression efforts:

8 Likes

Results from yesterday’s PA primary:

https://electionreturns.pa.gov/

So far, the ballot question results look better than expected. Based on the counts in local races, I really wish that voting reforms would eliminate cross-filing. In several contests, that practice tricked voters registered as Democrats into casting ballots for members of the GQP. That tactic helps to ensure one party’s candidates will run uncontested in general elections. That’s probably one of the reasons the GOP had a stranglehold on political offices in some PA counties since Reconstruction.

5 Likes

Glenn Youngkin Wins G.O.P. Nomination for Virginia Governor - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

So they nominated a no-name white dude in an effort to duck the Trump taint. The Dems are having none of it and are working to show just how Trumpy this guy actually is. Here we go!

5 Likes

Primary election fallout begins in PA :disappointed::

Not sure if Democrats have the numbers to win the assembly and gubernatorial races next year. Fingers crossed that more GQP lawmakers face consequences before then:

7 Likes

Senate seats likely to flip next year, according to CNN at least…

7 Likes

Voter suppression efforts in Texas…

8 Likes

Follow-up… :relieved:

10 Likes

One down, a hell of a lot to go…

8 Likes