Dems expected to take Georgia and the U.S. Senate

Honestly, I think the best thing about this is that it ends Mitch McConnell’s stranglehold on the Senate. Beyond that, I don’t really have high expectations for the Dems. They need to take advantage of this to do something good in the next two years, but I’m not convinced they’re capable of it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m hoping they do something great, and definitely welcome a reprieve from the last four years. But the Dems under the current set of leaders have been disappointing. What’s the old saying about futility? That it’s continuing to do the same thing and expecting different results?

27 Likes

Bravo people of Georgia and thank you.

20 Likes

Exactly. If they want to survive they have to work hard make reforms, especially on health and schools, solve the problem of voters suppression.

6 Likes

45 Likes

Move ‘Zig’. For great justice.

9 Likes

i’m absolutely delighted this has happened but it really is only two years. remember that obama was elected in 2008 with a majority in the house and a 60 member majority in the senate in which the 59th and 60th votes were joe lieberman and max baucus who were both to the right of joe manchin. that, coupled with the fact that mitch mcconnell and the republicans fought tooth and nail to create a legislative standstill so that all that was accomplished was an insufficient american recovery act, a solidification of the toxic asset relief program to save the banks, and the rube goldberg structure that became known as obamacare. because the median voter saw gridlock and saw the democrats nominally in control in 2010 the house went republican and the senate dropped to 51 democrats.

all maleficent mitch has to do is create total gridlock and in 2022 the median, low-information voter will blame it on the democrats and hand both house and senate to the republicans and we will be well and truly fucked.

they have two years. universal spirit protect us.

26 Likes

That’s the long term read, which is accurate. For the right now, after today’s readout of the electoral votes:

Ding dong the witch is dead!

Hallelujah!

16 Likes

Thank you to all the hard working “get out the vote” folks in Georgia who, over the last decade, have transformed the state. Thank you especially to Stacey “Secretary of whatever the fuck she wants” Abrams for her work and efforts in this area as well.

2021: so far, you’re doing alright, kid. Keep up the good work.

Also note: leave off the “it’s only two years” stuff for a couple of days, okay? Jesus, let’s just bask in a victory for once without doomsdaying it to death.

21 Likes

It’s the other way around, I think. Lots more Rs up for election in the Senate in 2022 than Ds. Dunno about the House, though.

House is easy. Term is 2 years, so it’s all of them. Dems have a narrow majority right now.

2 Likes

I’m still jaded; I won’t believe sanity has won until it’s all nice and legal, the checks cashed, and the stocking’d feet roll up underneath a Kansas farmhouse that fell out of the sky.

2 Likes
15 Likes

I’m not so certain sanity won.
I feel like it’s more of an insanity lost thing.

Rhinos are the only true Republicans(still ignorant and/or evil though), and they’re, what, 5% of the party now?

Some of trump’s KPatriot KParty KPeople abstained from voting… or even voted DEMOCRAT out of spite.
“Because the Republican Party failed to UNIVERSALLY endorse a coup.”

6 Likes

I am genuinely surprised, I didn’t think it was possible. Congrats to Stacey Abrahms and everyone else that worked to flip Georgia blue. And congrats on electing the first black senator from Georgia.

A big, BIG F U to Moscow Mitch McConnell, please go home and rot from whatever is turning your skin black and never darken our capital with a leadership role ever again.

13 Likes

But now we are going to have to listen to the high and mighty wisdom of frigging Joe Manchin on every subject.

6 Likes

50+1 is not enough to run the board in the Senate. But it DOES mean that Mitch will be unable to prevent votes on anything that does not get the support of the hard right wing. I think an increase in the federal minimum wage is in our future. Biden should be able to get his appointments approved.
Other than that, I’m not sure what can get the 60 votes needed to pass the Senate.

And of course even that may not last an entire two years. We are in the midst of a pandemic, and most Senators are old. All it takes is one death or disability to turn it into a 49-50 Senate. And if the governor of that state is from the GOP he could turn that into a 49-51 Senate. Trump politicized the pandemic so there is more chance of a GOP senator dying from Covid than a Democrat, but you just don’t know.

3 Likes

Just not A PMoF. Somewhat tarnished…

Finally a bit of hope at the bottom of this Pandora’s box of horrors. Thanks to Stacey Abrams and the progressives of Georgia for making this happen.

Schumer and Biden and Pelosi all better get working fast on the 20th to undo this damage, including whipping the hell out of DINOs like Manchin. If they drag their ancient feet it’s up to us to light a fire under them.

17 Likes

“Shipping” the DINOs?

Autocorrect. Fixed. Definitely not fanfic!

2 Likes