Dems expected to take Georgia and the U.S. Senate

e35

Nice gif, @ficuswhisperer! And yes, you’re all welcome in our great city!

I’m all for a statue to Stacey Abrams going ahead of a statue for Josef Martinez… But that’s next.

josef-martinez-heart

I wouldn’t go that far. There is still a ton of work to get done.

Yes. And that aforementioned statue.

george-bello-flag

You’re welcome!

Did you not pay attention in November?

21 Likes

It’s not about running the board with 60 votes every time. It’s more than that. It’s setting the agenda, running the committees, approving judges & appointments, carrying out investigations, making sure the government keeps running, basic law & order day to day running of the place.

McYertle sat on hundreds of bills. Now, that won’t happen. The D’s will force them to vote against bills that help people. They’ll force the conversations to occur, something that R’s have stonewalled for years now. Now they will have to take a stand and say their piece and live with the consequences. Investigations into the corruption can occur. The R’s won’t have a lock on judgeships. All kinds of stuff can happen that couldn’t before. It’s not about smashing every vote.

22 Likes

I hope at some point a journalist asks Mitch “So, how has running as unapologetic assholes worked out for the Republican party, do you think?”

10 Likes

Sorry, Q.
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!
:wink:

6 Likes

Hell, I’ve got three of them. He’s been tossing them around like paper towels in Puerto Rico these days.

Just like the real Good Place turned out to be in the eponymous show!

Don’t be so pessimistic. There are moderates on the GOP side as well. We might just be able to look forward to bills passing without Kamala Harris having to make the tie-breaking vote (though I will love to watch her do it every single time)!

6 Likes

ABRAMS/AOC 2024

17 Likes

Hm. Good point!

8 Likes

Biden, Schumer and Pelosi are like the Good Place Committee, no doubt. Still better than having malicious arsehole demons in charge.

10 Likes

One of them has got to be Michael, the demon arsehole who turned good. The fun question is: which one?

1 Like

Umm, I might need to see some evidence here.

12 Likes

There they are…

Ruminate on that for a moment…

9 Likes

Exactly. If Romney is your idea of a moderate, and he is probably as far “left” as they get, then your standards need revising.

17 Likes

It would have to be Joe – The similarity is there…

3 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

It just shows how very far to the right the GOP has gone. Let’s hope they implode and a new centerist, conservative party led by actual reasonable people take their place. We’ve gotten through Trump, but left unchecked, things are only going to get worse.

16 Likes

I would think the natural honor would be to chair the Democratic National Committee, but I haven’t heard anyone else mooting this, which I find strange.

10 Likes

I’m a pretty left person, but I definitely feel we need more centrist conservatives like Sen. Nancy Kassebaum, if we can’t simply reduce the number of off-the-rails conservatives.

6 Likes

You’re not wrong – at least by any rational standard of measure. But relatively speaking, compared to the fascism of Cruz, Cotton and HeeHaw(ley), “Severely Conservative Romney” (his own words) sounds “reasonable”. We should hope and work for more than “reasonable”, even if that’s all that we end up getting.

5 Likes

Thank you to all the Georgia organizers and voters!!!
I know there is much work to be done, but for today I’m going to bask in the knowledge that Mitch’s stranglehold on the senate has been wrested from his grasp.

13 Likes

Our focus should be on fixing structural disadvantages that yield stacked elections so the majority doesn’t need a super majority to do anything, and simple direct measures that help Americans. This will force the greedy-Rs and facist-Rs to vote against each other. Also, don’t listen to the “moderate” Rs now that they are in the wilderness, they cast their lot already.

The message from the presidential election is a liberal + anti-facist voters just barely beat greedy + facist. Don’t expect Rs to drop their greedy facists formula when it is this close. This year we pulled in enough anti-facists to win, but there were plenty of greedys who were more worried about sharing the pie than facism.

10 Likes

And that is why raising the minimum wage is likely. The problem is not that there are no policies which can get 60 votes. The problem is that if the GOP has a majority, Mitch will not allow anything that the Democrats could pass with a few GOP moderates to be voted on.

5 Likes