Attraction vs Objectification

Topics are cheap. Free, in fact.

Not everyone wants to read through 500 posts to find a handful of relevant replies, and a topic as general as “objectification” will invariably have subtopics.

Splitting the topics up lowers the barrier of entry to conversation, and by extension the breadth of replies.

1 Like

We’re talking quality; not quantity.

Taken out of it’s original context, this post seems superfluous.

11 Likes

The thing about any thread is you can’t gauge quality until it has posts. :wink:

If you feel the topic doesn’t deserve multiple conversations from multiple angles, feel free to ignore it! It will either wither away or those who are interested will continue the discussion - yet another great feature of multiple topics. :slight_smile:

That’s not my personal feeling, the split just seemed a bit like jumping the gun.

But whatever’s clever, man.

6 Likes

I have started a response, and deleted it, at least a dozen times now.

My last post was worthless, so why waste my time with this one?

7 Likes

Speak for yourself, I don’t mind my sex drive one bit.

I’m 35 and in a monogamous marriage approaching a decade, and still…

I just don’t think it’s truly a general sentiment.

8 Likes

I’m still not convinced that my sex drive is a prison. I certainly agree that Louis C.K. feels that way, as do you.

But unless I’m a unicorn, I’m guessing the existence of my feelings on the subject would not be isolated, so the feeling likely isn’t universal.

9 Likes

I’m sure you could show me plenty of things. How many of those studies are isolated from gender constructs of society? Unless you’ve got data from a completely gender-egalitarian society, I don’t think a confident determination can be made for testosterone being the sole explanation. Could it/does it make a difference? Sure, totally possible. But none of those studies could state with clarity how much of the 5-10x difference is related to testerone specifically. Mistaking statistical significance with scientific significance is a common error.

9 Likes

They pursue sex at 5x the rate of women, but that’s mostly a cultural thing.

9 Likes

This.

Also, it’s giving equal time to a disingenuous comment that should have been deleted, which also means taking time and attention away from the original topic. You know, the one started by women to talk about this issue from a woman’s point of view, which I hear from almost never as it is.

7 Likes

I can’t like this comment enough.

Also:

That’s exactly what he is. Otherwise known as a drive-by trolley.

Even though this is his thread, and he’s been summoned several times in it, he hasn’t popped by once to visit. I wonder why that is.

This thread shouldn’t exist. The original comment shouldn’t exist.

9 Likes

I love Louis CK, but I’m not too keen on his “men and women are different” jokes. I don’t find it to be true at all, but just more mars and venus stereotyping. I don’t think it’s helpful.[quote=“codinghorror, post:49, topic:101530”]
I don’t think women appreciate just how oppressive the drive is from the male side.
[/quote]

It’s not our fault. We don’t deserve to be treated like shit because some guys can’t feel like they can “control” themselves. It’s really not up to us to make you feel better about this. It’s up to men to realize that we’re fully human beings, not just objects for men’s pleasure. As long as men are claiming that they are really the ones who are oppressed and that they can’t help it, then things aren’t going to change.

There, I disagree.

It should have been left where it was to be decimated by respondents with wit and insight.

Making it into its own thread gives it unmerited legitimacy.

9 Likes

Yup.

In fact, elevates its legitimacy over that of the responders. In other words…elevates trite sexist argument over the women responding to said sexism (yet again).

12 Likes

To be fair I don’t think that was the intent, but still… here we are, yet again.

7 Likes

Oh, I agree, I can’t imagine @orenwolf meant it.

However, the result is: this unrequested-by-the-posters detour effectively sidelined the feminists (female and male) carrying on a lively discussion in the main thread by putting us all in our own corner over here.

10 Likes

I’m sorry. I refuse to believe that having another topic has somehow affected the original topic. We have something like 20-50 new posts a day, and this is the first time I’ve heard someone tell me that the existence of one post has diminished their ability to interact with another post.

I considered the question valid (as much as I consider the opposite valid - would men consider giving up their sexual attraction? (@codinghorror expanded on this theme a little here).

Multiple attempts to derail the topic aside, there’s valid conversation going on here, on a topic subtlely different than the original thread was discussing. this is a good thing - the topic deserves more attention than one monolithic post where anyone asking questions that “weren’t intended” get told they’re missing the point of the topic.

As I said before - you don’t have to participate in topics you do not wish to. If you don’t want to discuss the OP’s question, you don’t have to.

1 Like

Is it really?

8 Likes

Its really not tho…

sigh

Back to DMs for me.

Edit to add:

This right here is just so saddening and tiring I cannot even…

6 Likes