Audience member shoots off confetti cannon during a comedian's set

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/11/audience-member-shoots-off-con.html

4 Likes

The look on that comedian’s face when he realized that the audience member with the confetti cannon just told the best joke of the set (which was a pretty good set!) is priceless.

16 Likes

Judging by the length of the set and the jokes the guy told i’m pretty confident that the audience member set it off at the best time. I don’t know if that’s the moment the comedian was hoping for but the remainder of the set didn’t really have a good moment that fit having the cannon go off.

4 Likes

You have to admit it was the funniest part of the skit.

6 Likes

moving on from the confetti moment when the guy saw a pretty women and let her leave…

I had a comment thing on “indecent proposal” imdb website following that story thing seeing someone very pretty and the big grin thing …and mine seeing a dancer from a show I worked at looking that way… anyways

Rewatching it the moment where it went off and i’m mostly confident that’s exactly when the comedian was hoping for it to go off. He mentions his family becoming closer after his mother’s death, but that bit is not germane to the rest of the story. He could’ve just told a story of seeing a woman on the train.

2 Likes

The moment in the podcast where Dommett explains the bit starts exactly at 0:40:36 which is about 65% from the beginning of the podcast.

The audience member didn’t set the confetti cannon off.

11 Likes

The best part of the reddit thread about this yesterday was watching a whole bunch of dudes very confidently declare it was obviously fake, and then “figure out” that it was just so obvious that it was faked in a particular way - which was completely wrong.

Guys, it did go off exactly when the Comedian wanted it to. Because here’s the gimmick - he sets up the cannon(as in, to the audience, not literally preparing it to fire), he hands an audience member the remote, makes a big deal of the audience member being able to set it off whenever they think is funniest, etc, etc, but that’s all just the setup for the joke, and the punchline is when it’s set off. The audience member never has actual control, the Remote is a fake, and the cannon is actually controlled by a dude at the back of the theater, who has been told when to fire it in advance.

4 Likes

I had a suspicion that the audience member didn’t set it off, but even if they did have control you could deduce the moment the comedian would want it to be activated. As i said above, the bit with his mom dying had nothing to do with the train story.

[quote=“Grey_Devil, post:9, topic:104310, full:true”]
I had a suspicion that the audience member didn’t set it off, but even if they did have control you could deduce the moment the comedian would want it to be activated. As i said above, the bit with his mom dying had nothing to do with the train story.
[/quote]Yeah, exactly. He kept throwing in pregnant pauses to build the audience up and build tension(because he knew it wasn’t going to go off, obviously, but the audience doesn’t), and then broke it with the cannon as the punchline to the story about his mother, you’ve got it right on the nose.

1 Like

I was immediately wondering about that. The set-up and timing is soo perfect (and the rest the best part of his bit), it tends to indicate something. And knowing that, it’s actually funny on another level, too.

1 Like

*BOOM confetti

It was the only time I laughed, but boy did I laugh real hard.

2 Likes

I think that’s how we know it was planned. No way the comedian would have kept a straight face otherwise.

1 Like

I figured it was set up but that doesn’t take away from the joke really. Actually it ensures its success. Clever bit.

2 Likes

Yeah, the audience dude was laughing way too hard, and his date was like, “you dick!”.

I was laughing too hard to notice his reaction. Just in terms of set-up and timing (and the apparent non-sequitur of what the comedian is saying when it goes off, seemingly unrelated to his jokes), it seems too controlled.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.