Aunt Jemima brand will no longer be used, says owner

Hell, why do we even need people on packaging!

9 Likes

How else will we know who the product is for?!

9 Likes

Ha, good point! Not only doesn’t Jimmy John’s need a caricature of Jimmy John, Papa John’s doesn’t even need Papa John himself!

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was trying to get at.

Your comment most certainly did not read that way. Maybe clarify a bit more?

3 Likes

Silly, all consumer goods are for middle and upper class white women… the ur-consumer! /s

Sigh…

8 Likes

I’m just saying, furries have a solution if anyone’s willing to take us up on it :wink:

7 Likes

We’ve already changed some of those.

“ The Fighting Irish logo features a side view of The Leprechaun with his fists up, ready to battle anyone that comes his way. He was once depicted with a bottle of whisky by his foot,”

6 Likes

They could transfer ownership of the trademarks, and some of the shares PepsiCo undoubtedly owns in itself, to a suitable vehicle for slavery reparations. If there’s money to be made by selling pancake dust using slavery-themed branding, then it seems kind of inescapable that that money belongs to the heirs of former slaves.

Otherwise it’s kind of like, “we explicitly profited from slavery right up until 2020, and now we’re going to keep the profits, while also applauding ourselves for heroically pretending it goes against some kind of principle we just remembered we had”.

I’m not being flippant here. We all assume a company like PepsiCo would never do this, and they probably wouldn’t, but they could, without anyone making a personal sacrifice. If we don’t even bother to imagine such things, then there is no path to improving the situation.

8 Likes

What? No beat up wife with a black eye down there, too? /s

Also… leprechauns today…

american-gods-mad-sweeney-hi

10 Likes

It does indeed, but its proper target would be militarism, not shaming protesters for protesting wrong

7 Likes

As a very young child, I can remember the one in my hometown. I also remember that my parents and many other family friends wouldn’t patronize the establishment. I think it went out of business in our town by 1973.

8 Likes

Reading the comments to this story on my local newspaper’s and television stations’ websites is instructive, in an appalling kind of way. For most of my neighbors, they think this is wrong because black people are just being honored because they’re good cooks, so it can’t be racist.

1 Like

I have a memory of one of their restaurants either in Myrtle Beach, SC or in Hampton, Va. that had a Big Boy-like statue in front painted in blackface holding up pancakes or burgers I don’t know which. I did a search on the interwebs but I could find no evidence such a thing existed. I don’t think I imagined it.

4 Likes

next up: Cream of Wheat (?)

The original boxes of Cream of Wheat were handmade and lettered, and they were emblazoned with the image of an African-American chef produced by Emery Mapes. The character was named Rastus and was developed by artist Edward V. Brewer. Rastus was included on all boxes and advertisements, and he continues to be used today with only very slight changes.

I really wonder what the UK think about all this. A 2017 poll there showed most of them believing that their long-treasured golliwog blackface dolls were not racist. Search out your own images; they’re horrible.

2 Likes

Yeah, my hometown was in the San Joaquin Valley and was a sundown town prior to 1968. The town was mostly racist/conservative, but there were a smattering of educated progressive people. (Actually, I thought everyone was like my family and it took me until high school to realize how much my parents insulated us and how truly racist it was/is.)

My husband said he never saw them out in the northeast while growing up in Philadelphia, but he remembers one in the OC when he and his family first moved to SoCal in 1975. He said it shut down shortly thereafter. (He clearly remembers thinking “Holy shit” when he first saw it.)

5 Likes

Or the Netherlands. Where Santa arrives by boat then a xfer to a horse and accompanied by six to eight black men.

https://www.expatica.com/media/upload/816752.jpg

2 Likes

“Stubb” was a real BBQ guy :slight_smile: adding a pic after the wiki link since that doesn’t have any pictures of him strangely.

The Stubb’s location downtown is very well liked though as far as i know its just a music venue. Maybe they do serve food there but i only go there for shows. As far as authenticity, the Wiki says he made his mark in Lubbock TX which honestly its as legit as it comes. Lots of good BBQ comes from out there.

7 Likes

You know what’s offensive to me? Betty F’n Crocker. The entire icon is a sending ‘stay at home and bake cookies’ message. Not only is it sexist against men.
The imagery they choose just reeks like their going to the latest Eagle Forum meeting to complain against gay rights, library books or the ERA