Aunt Marie puts the turkey in the oven

That’s awesome! I’m glad I didn’t bale until the end.

2 Likes

Here’s an advertising strap line for the Agro-Industry, “Go ham on the holidays!”

We don’t do Thanksgiving over here in the UK, however, I have laid in my supplies for Christmas.

4 Likes

4 Likes

For me when I was growing up in Cumbria, it was Xmas = Turkey or Ham, and Easter = Lamb and the leftover black peas that we didn’t cook on Carlin Sunday.

3 Likes

A bit. But like I said usually much fishier tasting. Tends to be very flakey as well.

If you have a shellfish allergy it’s just a shellfish allergy. Fin fish are not related and shellfish allergies tend to be to very specific proteins or algae/bacteria in the specific shellfish.

I am allergic to scallops but only scallops. Oysters, lobsters, shrimp, clams are all fine. Some people are allergic to just shrimp, or just lobster. Some people are allergic to all shellfish. But it’s rare to be allergic to all seafood or both fin fish and shellfish.

Mild dietary allergies often present with this sort of “digestive distress”. But it’s sort of indistinguishable from food poisoning or travellers diarrhea. People often blame seafood, especially shellfish when the actual problem was something like contaminated lettuce or an old burger.

Get an allergy test to find out what you are specifically allergic too.

Allergies of this type can come and go as well, so it’s possible you were allergic, but are not anymore.

3 Likes

Prime rib. It’s go big or stay home… I did both.

4 Likes

I’ve had deep fried turkey so tasty my toes curled. Spiced, probably injected, lots of crispy skin bits, and not dry in the least. It spoiled me for all other methods, yet I still eat them.

4 Likes

no geese?

My mom cooked a goose one year. Very fatty.

1 Like

Thanks man. Mary is a sweet friend of my wife and I.
My wife was a student in her class. And I got to know her too.
A real deal just as you see her.
And a very good teacher because of that.
This is an annual thing for me to share with friends, so happy to see Boing Boing share it to even a wider audience.

3 Likes

I’m with team Brine. A couple days in a nice wet salt/spice bath can turn that bland, tasteless sponge-meat into something delicious.

1 Like

I can confirm lobster (right off my uncle’s boat), and clams (dug by us) from PEI. Unknown origin of the shrimp. I suspect all the rest (mussels, crabs, etc).

I did have an allergy test ~20 year ago, but for the various causes of hay fever; I was experiencing uncontrollable sneezing fits in the spring and fall; sneezing so bad I’d have to sit down while sneezing. I even avoided driving during the worst 2 weeks. Allergy test confirmed a serious reaction to Black Oak pollen; when the nurse put the allergen drop on the pin prick, it was so obvious to both me & her. Prescribed something, took it, and a few years later, it’s gone.

My brother, 10 months younger, also has a similar allergy to at least lobster & clams. But he gets the swollen throat, can’t breath reaction. He carries an EpiPen(?) it’s so bad.

As for changes over time… both he & I spend many summer vacays in PEI at my grandmother’s in Summerside. Clam dig & bake at least once a week, and the occasional bite of lobster. Never a problem. Until we matured. The summer when I was 15, he 14, both with grass on the field. We slept in a tent behind grandma’s house. The morning after the first clam feed was a horrifying mess. Both of us tossed our clams in the tent; his might have been a result of my initial outburst, though. The tent did not survive.

Agreed it could be just stomach distress. But there is one telling difference: the two times I’ve had a vigorous reaction to non shellfish food, the effluent is generally food coloured, with recognizable food items from the mouth hole (WTF? I haven’t eaten carrots in a week, yet there’s nicely diced carrots coming up) and the other end is very poop-like. BUT when it’s shellfish-related, it’s white-ish. Like clam chowder white. Both ends.

I’m tempted to block out a weekend with nothing planned and try some lobster on Friday night Like you say, these things can come and go. But I so dislike throwing up.

Finally, a story about my mother, born & raised in Summerside. She’s ~5’ tall, slight build. Eats like a bird, with the exception of lobster. It’s downright terrifying how much lobster she can eat.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.