Australia bans Duff Beer

Well we’re trying. Probably the strictest smoking laws in the world.

One of the first countries to ban smoking in restaurants. You can’t smoke indoors in any pubs. Smoking advertising is banned pretty much everywhere. Shops that sell cigarettes can’t display them (they can display a board that lists brands and prices in a uniform font). Cigarette packets & tobacco pouches themselves are covered by “plain packaging laws” which mean they’re all a uniform and horrible green colour, with approximately 1/3rd covered in graphic health warnings, with no logos and uniform fonts stating the name, i.e. brand recognition is being eliminated.

here in canada we have some of the same bans on smoking in public buildings, and tobacco products have mandatory health warning pictures on them them that are so graphic they can scar a person for life, but it hasn’t gone as far as the uniform packaging and regulating display signs.

how are e-cigarets treated there? there is no ban or regulation at all yet here and some people even vape them in restaurants (which is annoying seeing as they are all flavored so they stink of whatever flavor they are) but that is a night and day regulatory difference between them and their traditional counterparts. not sure how it will play out over the next few years.

I imagine you’ll get the same rumblings as we’re getting here in the UK, where various tobacco lobbyists concerned citizens are worried that they’re very dangerous and should only be available on prescription.

Can I still drink this Düff? It’s from Sweden!

4 Likes

I don’t know Swedish, but , according to wikipedia the extra characters are limited to

Å (called a ring)
ä (possibly derived from æ)
ö (possibly derived from œ)

(umlaut appears to be a german thing: å, ä, ö come after z in the swedish alphabet, and are treated as separate vowels, not accented vowels.)
norwegian doesn’t have ö, but it does use ø.

So düff can’t possibly be swedish. Possibly German, or Estonian, or something else.

Will they next start closing drinking establishments named “Moe’s Tavern” next?

It’s a joke from The Simpsons. Homer asks for an imported beer and Moe quickly grabs a pen and adds an umlaut to the u on the label. He then says “Try a Düff. It’s from Sweden!” http://www.brianmayworld.com/dueff.jpg

2 Likes

Ah. Turns out I was wrong.

The umlauted ‘ü’ is recognized, but is only used in names of German origin, as well as the loanword müsli. It is otherwise treated as a variant of ‘y’ and is called a “German Y”

Duyf? Probably stands to reason that Moe would mispronounce it.

Poor Duffman!

1 Like

Anyone who remembers the Simpsons being good is at least legal age by now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.