Australian sailor and his dog rescued after months lost at sea

Originally published at: Australian sailor and his dog rescued after months lost at sea | Boing Boing

2 Likes

“… and his dog” fills me with joy.

31 Likes

Imagine how important the companionship must have been (to both of them)

21 Likes

Holy crap! So glad he and his little buddy are okay. Good for him for figuring how to keep them both alive for so long. Wow.

This is a powerful reminder of how big the ocean really is, that even in this modern age someone can be lost on it for that long.

22 Likes

assuming the dog exists of course:

( also, wow. what a harrowing time that must have been. never know when or if you were going to be found. )

5 Likes

And for the little bit the pup appears on screen, he looks quite healthy. It’s really amazing to see them both so healthy after that time.

Side question - what is the little box he’s holding up? I’m assuming either vitamins or perhaps an antibiotic? My initial thought, because it’s the world we live in now, is it was a COVID test but I’m fairly certain he’s negative…

3 Likes

Dolo Neurobion appears to be acetaminophen

Thanks. I couldn’t quite make out the text.

2 Likes

There’s a Netflix movie that uses this same plot twist, but for a human friend. I did not see it coming, and I recommend it. Also holy crap is it good exposure training if you’re trying to get over a fear of heights. It’s called Fall.

2 Likes

It could have ended very differently, with him eating the dog, or the dog eating him after his death from exposure, etc. A morbid thought.

I wonder how many seafarers are bobbing around lost at any one time.

2 Likes

Impressive that he didn’t eat the dog - I knew a sailor whose dog was called “Emergency Rations”

2 Likes

DC058B16-3ED5-420D-A2CD-1A5E5BF4DBE0

9 Likes
3 Likes

Bella looks far healthier than he does! :heart:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.