Australian woman wakes up from surgery with an Irish accent

Originally published at: Australian woman wakes up from surgery with an Irish accent | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Huh, since it’s normally associated with head trauma, I wonder if something was off with the anesthesia. What an odd thing!

10 Likes

My thoughts were that the accent as such comes from tonal pitch during talking more than anything else, it developed from trying to favour her throat and kinda stuck.

14 Likes

to be sure

3 Likes

“Bragh do you even lift?”

12 Likes

(I’d be willing to bet the dialect helped her in her interview, all things considered. ‘Standing out,’ in whatever capacity, is a good thing to have/do once one gets to the interview stage.)

1 Like

Perhaps it’s a side effect of the surgery. I know that my accent changed when I had treatment for a throat infection. Numbing my throat so that I was no longer in pain had the side effect of temporarily changing my voice. Perhaps this is temporary or permanent damage as a result of the surgery which has altered how her voice comes out.

4 Likes

What kind of Irish accent? For example a strong Derry and strong Kerry accent are actually mutually incomprehensible not just totally unlike each other.

I bet you it’s a makey uppy one from the telly.

13 Likes

Probably from the telly, so next time I’m going into surgery I’m going to binge Derry Girls several times first just in case. I love the sound of it!

9 Likes

An interesting pastiche of accents from across the country

the Lucky Charms leprechaun

Aaaaand that’s why I hide my accent during most social interactions. Thanks.

14 Likes

My thoughts as well, or perhaps a mini-stroke while anaesthetised.

4 Likes

Big deal. Tens of thousands of people come out of surgery with Irish accents every day in Ireland, now Australia thinks it’s hot shit because they’ve got one?

48 Likes

She’s on one of the major social media sites. I call fake, too.

7 Likes

I insensitively laughed my ass off, my apologies.

3 Likes

If she’d woken up sounding like Malcolm Tucker, then it’d be news.

4 Likes

Or more incomprehensible, Ewen Bremner.

1 Like

seems like a not entirely horrible place to ask this: what accent name is ‘properly’ assigned to
David Bradley’s character from Hot Fuzz? (2007)

(and what’s wif the dessert emoji after me name? didn’t order no cake slice. creme brulee for me)

12 Likes

Happy Cake Day (your anniversary with the BBS).

8 Likes

Don’t eat too much cake, you get’a stomach’acake.

2 Likes

Assuming this syndrome is real, how can it possibly work? Accents are learned- you don’t gain or lose an accent just by changing the pitch of your voice, you have to pronounce words in specific, consistent ways. If people who have never had practice doing this before are gaining accents through brain damage, where exactly is this learned knowledge coming from? Most of us couldn’t fake an accent convincingly without practice, even if it’s one we’ve heard many times.

2 Likes