Autism linked to second-trimester fetal brain development

Damn it, I wanted to make a vaccine joke.

1 Like

Iā€™ll just pop in here with a little anecdotal data point. My niece is autistic and she was born prematurely. For a long time there was this thing going on with her diagnosis where they couldnā€™t figure out whether she was developmentally delayed or she had some kind of long term issue - little babies donā€™t do so much for a while, and some kids just take longer to talk, but at a certain point she was diagnosed as for sure autistic.

Talking with my brother one evening before she was diagnosed, he was saying that the question they were grappling with was: was she having developmental problems because she was born prematurely OR was she born prematurely BECAUSE she had developmental problems.

I had never considered that she might have been born prematurely because of problems with her fetal development, but the low amniotic fluid and other factors were apparently because of her autism and not the other way around.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.