Avengers: Endgame smashes records with $1.2bn box office

They certainly never watched Deadpool.

1 Like

Or they were implying a wholesome “Disneyfication” to everything, since Disney’s gobbling up everything it can like Galactus on meth.

Either way, it read to me as ignorant or ham-handed.

1 Like

I’m wondering, did Gamora fade away with the rest of Thanos’ crew, since she caught a ride with them? I don’t recall seeing her post fadeaway, and she certainly wasn’t shown on the ship with the Guardians at the end.

1 Like

Accidentally clicked into thread before watching the movie.

Thank you everyone for the spoiler tags.

[Runs away with eyes covered while yelling la la la]
[Smacks into door]
[fudge]

10 Likes

One reason more people don’t read the comics is that readers are often expected to be up-to-date on decades’ worth of backstory and 17 different intertwining storylines just to follow what the heck is going on. I appreciate that the MCU has stripped a lot of that baggage away in the interest of storytelling.

For example, if they tried to model the MCU version of Nick Fury off the Earth-616 version of the character you’d need to get into all kinds of fantastical nonsense like anti-aging serum and Captain America crossovers just to introduce him properly. Better just to stick to the basics: he’s the eyepatch-wearing badass from S.H.I.E.L.D. who happens to be recruiting superheroes for a team he’s putting together.

8 Likes

the cut option is quite nice. but isn’t commonly known as spoilers ahead, so folks might be prone to click to open and not realize its spoilery.

Anywho…I get what you are saying but…the specifics in the speech and example was that branches are dangerous, they alter what the future looks like. Yes TAO is worried about her specific concerns, but she is also concerned about her future not coming to pass. Again…string theory is what they went with. A single “proper” timeline. And yes…all the things they did have break points in that. Thanos dying in 2023 and not going back to 2014 to do what he did. Loki grabbing the tesseract is an issue, because remember they ended up taking an earlier one and returned that one. There are other minor ones, but the point here is…solely going with what we see and what they state…they end End Game in an entirely different reality.

Other than Cap - everyone else has a rolling incept date.

1 Like

I don’t think she was dusted, since even in her own time she was already heavily on board the “Thanos is a crazy madman” train. I seem to recall her being rather vocal about James Gunn’s firing from GotG vol. 3 back when it happened, which would suggest she was in the expected cast, but IMDB doesn’t even seem to have a listing for GotG vol. 3 at all, so I can’t even meta-game it right now.

3 Likes

I have a question…

At the end, when the camera moves through the group, I didn’t catch who the three people between Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel were. Anyone have a clue?

3 Likes

Exactly this…and to add to that (in reply to @Brainspore ) they all also follow the basics of who/why these characters became who they are. So Iron Man’s 2008 origin mimics his original 1960’s origin. That takes no understanding of any backstory to relate to…modernizing it is what makes it relatable.

The other MCU movies that have kept in line with what the comics even if modernizing things or leaving out a ton of ancillary back and side stories did the same thing. The Winter Soldier is the best example of this, but there are others.

I do not think they needed to stick entirely to Infinity Gauntlet story…it’s too much and too complicated; like trying to do Secret Wars, Mutant Massacre, AvX, in the movies. But they could have borrowed some of the basics in IG and put them in EG and it would have worked better for me.

1 Like

You had a grown up version of the Harley Keener (the kid in Iron Man 3), Maria Hill was there and General Ross too.

And for @Pensketch to add to @alahmnat 's reply… at the end Starlord is on the Benatar and the computer is “searching” for Gamora. The assumption is she wasn’t dusted because she was not on Thanos’s side at the end.

3 Likes

Ah, thank you. The young person was baffling me, and the camera panned a little too fast for me.

1 Like

yeah, well, Im sorry, but he is right; I am a comic-book-“fan”, but I never got used to the typical comic american-style with so-called “super-heroes”. marvel and DC is meaningless escapism in a world where everybody dreams of his imagined omnipotence. doesnt mean they cant be fun, but essential they just shit to make money.

speaking of the movies; I mean, this one cost nearly half a billion bucks! seriously?!? are you fucking nuts, hollywood?!? this has nothing to do being a comic-book-fan, this is just insane, especially in a world where something like tony-stark-invetions ala actually working prototypes for future fusion-powered plants have to beg, again and again, for comparatively low 500 million bucks to pull it off:

It’s a good write up, all credit to you. But another potential (and I’m guessing like everyone else) answer to all the shenanigans is much simpler and elegant.

When Tony snaps his fingers, his wish isn’t for Thanos and his army to be destroyed, but for him to be returned to his time and all of the time shenanigans to be undone; it just presented as another dusting visually when Thanos and his army were sent back

Again, totally a guess, but that’s the easiest way to correct all the issues. And it vastly simplifies the whole situation. Because otherwise, yeah, they completely ignored all their own warnings about breaking the time stream and loops and so on.

For me personally, this was a great film. I get so tired of people saying “well good, no more comic book movies” and talking about how shitty these films are. I grew up with these characters and their stories, and seeing them brought to life on the big screen by actors who did more than just read the lines but embodied all the qualities I’d imagined they had means a ton to a guy like me. End Game was 58 years of fan service rolled up into one great big 3 hour ball, and I’m not ashamed to say I clapped, and shouted with joy, and cried like a baby at times.

This one was for us. For the fans who loved Marvel. For Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. For all the artists and writers who have worked there. The cynics and gate keepers can go watch their literary dramas and art house films (not you, alahmnat, you’re cool).

And hey, you know what came after the golden age of comics? The silver age, which was pretty damned good and had stuff like the Infinity War story line in it. :wink: So if this is the end of the golden age of the MCU, we have the silver age to look forward to, and it should be spectacular.

4 Likes
Here be spoilers.

I can just about accept the wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey plot about returning the time stones to their point of origin and thus undoing any alt timelines but nobody has mentioned old man steve rogers turning up at the end and that completely screwing up this premise. If he stayed in the past with peggy then surely he would have lived his life in the alt timeline that created so how did he end up back in the main one? This is the problem with time travel plots, you’re just setting yourself up for massive plot holes. Not that i didn’t enjoy that ending, i thought it very moving and a fitting end to cap’s story.

1 Like

Yeah, I pointed that out to my wife the following day when we talked more about the film. That whole bit felt tacked on to me. BUT, as @cepheus42 pointed out in his first spoiler… If instead of destroying them, he sent them back without their memories of what happened (very important), and all of the stones ended up where they needed to be, then the timeline wouldn’t split and he could have ended up back on that bench. Never mind how he managed to get there without any of them noticing. I’m picturing an 80-year-old Cap stealthing along the shoreline. Also, that still leaves the Gamora issue unsolved - if she didn’t also go back with the rest, the timeline would still split.

Then you are the worst kind of “fan” who mocks everyone for liking mainstream comics. No thank you. Not interested. The sound you hear is my eyes rolling at you. Roll roll roll.

More like between $300-$400 million, but sure. That’s about on-par for any big tentpole film, including Disney/Pixar animated features, and when you consider the massive A-list cast for this movie, a $400 million budget makes sense. I’m not sure why the cost of a movie that just made 1.2 billion in four days would anger you so much.

6 Likes

And it’s already made more than twice that so clearly no, they’re not nuts.

5 Likes

Some people clearly want to go back in time and interfere with the production.

3 Likes

The problem is time travel plots open up a whole load of problematic questions that are mostly just handwaved away but that issue of cap being on that bench and what it implies seems to contradict everything the plot has set up. Not to mention how he returned the stones without meeting the others from the first trip, or was it specified whether the stones had to be returned to exactly the point at which they were taken? I would have liked to see his meeting the red skull again though. There’s just no way he should be on that bench in the prime timeline based on the time travel mechanics the plot sets up.

2 Likes