Award-winning short sf film written by an AI is pretty good

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Itā€™s like an Adam Sandler movie, but funny!

5 Likes

Still a more coherent film than ā€œPrometheusā€.

I thought that the word garbage was quite effective at creating an alienating feeling; almost like listening to a language you are not fluent in, or speaking to a teenager.

4 Likes

ā€œAward-winning short sf film written by an AI is pretty goodā€ - No. The actors do a great job communicating feeling, personal dynamics and a semi-plot while reciting the nonsense the AI wrote.

4 Likes

Agreed, the writer is basically just a chatbot spitting out sentences that are mashups of SF screenplays without a plot or character building.

The surreal part comes from the cast and crew having to work with nonsense sentences like ā€œtakes his eyes out of his mountā€.

1 Like

Makes me think of the good olā€™ days when the spambots would attempt to fool filters by including a few paragraphs of gobbledygook. They donā€™t do that anymore, do they?

2 Likes

Itā€™s like a 5 year old who knows sentence mechanics ā€“ cute as a baby crocodile that will grow to the size of an aircraft carrier.

2 Likes

Heck, itā€™s not even particularly good for a script produced by software. I donā€™t know what kind of software they were using, but Iā€™ve seen better output from dumb Markov chain scripts. Although it was interesting to see the actors take on the nonsense script, itā€™s kind of disappointing that the ā€œfirst movie written by an ā€˜AIā€™ā€ is just gibberish.

You probably have. But not consistently.

Recursive Neural Network with Long Short-Term Memory (RNN LSTM):

The first link is for those of you who either know or are interested in RNN LSTM applications; the second is for those of you who are not.

Ross throws a lot of his code onto Github, but if thereā€™s a specific source for this itā€™s not there. More importantly, his data-set ainā€™t there, and thatā€™s what I want. His RNN has to run on todayā€™s version of the supercomputer ā€“ a whole lotta high-end graphics cards. Somebody reading this post could afford to build such a system, but not I.

6 Likes

Although interesting to an extent, I think it is just spam-bot gibberish enlivened by a game cast and crew. My breath continues to be not held in anticipation of the Singularity turning the whole universe into an Ice-cream sundae in the next couple of decades.

The team of monkeys on typewriters also had a good contender in the works but couldnā€™t complete it by the deadline.

3 Likes

The problem with gibberish is you canā€™t tell if it was produced by a smart system or a dumb one. That LSTM-produced folk song, on the other hand, is awesome.

Iā€™m going to see my soul
Iā€™m trying to be free
I can take you through the way you do
And Iā€™m gonna lay down the river in the sky
Iā€™m a man and I wonā€™t be on your hand
And if I was moving at the street
I want to be a pretty little girl
I canā€™t stand the way that I canā€™t leave me
And I canā€™t be really walking on
I will be all right

2 Likes

Itā€™s gibberish, but itā€™s less gibberish-y than ever before.

Without adding in special code to do script markup for characters, descriptions, etc. - the RNN LSTM does that all automagically.

Thereā€™s virtually no way, except outrageous chance or ridiculous settings*, for a markov engine to do that.

* say, setting the n-gram length to be equal to the numbers of words in the source-script. The engine will output the input. Much in the same way LenPeg is the ultimate compressor for the Lenna image.

2 Likes

They were too busy churning out some potboiler about a prince who canā€™t get off his ass and do shit.

2 Likes

'Twas ever thus.

2 Likes

I say it here, I say it now: AI will be driven by advertisers so that we sit on our asses consuming junk, moving nothing, and failing to reproduce. It is the end of humanity.

Me excluded.

Nah, after a few years of no births the advertisers will figure out their market is shrinking, and start encouraging reproductive sex. But only among those most susceptible to advertising.

2 Likes

Oooh! Evolutionary selection of couch potatoes!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s an embed

Still a better love story than Twilight.

3 Likes

Pair that with a computer generated tune from a neural network trained on just the right mix of music and you have a hit! Perhaps get the neural network trained on Blade Runner to do the music video.

3 Likes