Awesome guy with NSFW Tourette syndrome uses a power washer

I can’t speak for all ticquers; my experience is not universal. It’s closer to muscle spasm than possession, though.

I’ve always had an overactive and poorly-controlled internal monologue, but I’ve never been prone to disassociative hallucination. The mess is inside my head, but it’s always been there. I just have a harder time now keeping it from expressing in ways apparent to the external world.

I’ve described the experience here previously in another thread:

The verbal stuff is closer to the gross motor tics than the hemiplegia effect. Gets worse with declining mood, more likely to erupt when startled or self-conscious.

I tend to get horse-style lip-blowing, a bit of lip-smacking and frequent tongue-clucking most of the time. When I’m upset or stressed, actual verbalisation gets added to that, but I usually manage to choke those down to a squeak or scream (to avoid freaking out listeners more than necessary). Lately, I’ve also acquired a medium-severe stutter that usually only appears in moments of social/emotional stress.

The verbal tics don’t really feel like an external force, and they’re often clearly influenced by what I’m thinking immediately prior. For example, if I have a sudden recollection of a strong memory, it’ll often immediately elicit a verbal tic that is in some way related to that memory.

Suppression of verbal tics isn’t really a conscious process, though; they hit too fast for that. The suppression is more reflexive, kind of like catching yourself as you fall. Fairly often enough of the tic comes through that I can work out what it would have been if I hadn’t automatically choked it.

The stutter feels much closer to external than the tics do. The experience of that is kind of like trying to pound words through a force field.

6 Likes