Awesome parts of already awesome places

At the Museum of Science in Boston, where they have a mega Van DeGraaf generator, an IMAX, and other epic stuff, there is a room. It’s not like anything else there.

The Colby Room

Anyone else know of places like that, in already very cool places?

Edited to add (from below):

Like back in 1995, I found an internet cafe in Mitchell, South Dakota. Internet cafes being quite new and cool, then. Unexpected contrasts in you own interesting places.

4 Likes

Montana

3 Likes

all of it? is there a cool, somewhat out-of-place place there?

1 Like

Lots, really. Which part of the Colby Room are you thinking of? The hunting trophies, remoteness, Teddy Roosevelt vibe? Those are Montana jams.

The contrasting science museum with Boston levels of investment is less common.

1 Like

Those are Montana jams. When I think of that room in that place, you said it well, there is a contrast there.

Is there anywhere in MT that contrasts with the rest of it, in a still interesting and positive way? I’ve been to MT, but spent so little time there.

1 Like

Well the one you found is pretty amazing. People say some contrasts in Montana are like a David Lynch film so maybe a different sort of amazing … like kitsch next to vistas amazing.

2 Likes

I think my point was missed.

I’m seeking examples that are neither montana nor science museum specific.

Like back in 1995, I found an internet cafe in Mitchell, South Dakota. Internet cafes being quite new and cool, then. Unexpected contrasts in you own interesting places.

2 Likes

I concede! I wish I could say it was the first time it happened to me.

Now … if I may amend my answer, there is a computer history museum in Bozeman, MT.

I haven’t been for a few years, but very contrasty with the rest of the river(realtor)-runs-through-it mise en scene.

3 Likes

Speaking of Montana… (I kid, sort of) we found Garnet, Montana totally by accident just driving through the country on the way back to Canada. I saw a sign on the side of the road that said “Ghost Town” and an arrow and probably yelled “turn left!” and we did and it was fucking awesome! I highly recommend it! Very very neat and vaguely spooky place. Also, all the “houses” of the town are so small! Like maybe 10x10, if you’re lucky. People lived small back then.

4 Likes

Just enough room for their bootstraps and buffalo hide wallpaper.

3 Likes

I don’t know any science museums in South Dakota, but this firetower in the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming is pretty cool.

8 Likes

4 Likes

Whoa cool.

2 Likes

In Austin

• Alamo Drafthouse (movie theater that serves food/drink and a no-nonsense policy towards bad behavior)
  • Barton Springs Pool
  • Barton Creek Greenbelt Trail
2 Likes

The pool and the trail are closed due to flooding over the past week or so … so anyone heading down to Austin based on my comment… hold off for a bit.

This topic was automatically closed after 267 days. New replies are no longer allowed.