Awesome Song Thread!

For some reason I’ve been on a Márta Sebestyén (with Muzsikás) kick all week – having not listened to her/them in years now – so I’ve decided to share the love:

I recognize that Hungarian hurdy-gurdy music is not for everyone.

3 Likes

Yours ain’t bad, but I do prefer me Tex Williams:

My bias, that is the one I heard first, as well. So be it.

OTOH, perhaps it is better in the original French:

Although I find it hard to fathom a frenchman complaining about cigarettes.

2 Likes

My favorite has to be the Apocrypha album, which fuses all of the above with some sort of 80s synthesizer neverland in which the '56 revolution was bailed out by the US as we promised

(playlist has truncated versions of some songs)

It’s hard to beat the video for Bethlehem, Bethlehem, though:

Search friendly: Marta Sebestyen

3 Likes

Have always enjoyed Nemesis for using “parthenogenesis” as a rhyme.

1 Like

Man, I’ve been looking for this song for years.

I don’t have that album…thanks!

I don’t like the remixes; I prefer the original album; the songs in the playlist are from the original, I believe.

1 Like

Goin’ to Acapulco - Calexico & Jim James

1 Like

One of my favourite TV themes is returning in the New Year.

Bonus Grodda-Lira action -

3 Likes

Sonic Youth, Superstar (cover)

2 Likes
5 Likes

Blue Öyster Cult - Shooting Shark

Out of all of the latter-day choices, I’m picking this for sheer inscrutability (you know, not like any other BÖC lyrics) and vast gulf of song-type from your track.

God damn, GOD DAMN!

Scrolled through the list, feel like I must have posted this before. Love or hate, this one.

I can’t believe I didn’t post this earlier: Sweet Exorcist, a side-project from Cabaret Voltaire’s Richard Kirk, the progenitor of bleep-core. The bleeps, in this case, are from studio test tones, hence the title “Test Four” (of the variant numbered mixes, this is my favorite):

Mississippi Fred McDowell - Jesus Is on the Mainline

3 Likes

Flying Burrito Brothers (Gram Parsons) Sin City

2 Likes

Deborah Allen - Rock Me (In The Cradle Of Love)

3 Likes

Just had one of those moments where I realized, "Holy shit! I’ve been listening to this awesome song for 43 years! " With a pinch of luck, you’ll be able to have that same moment in 2057.

Johnny Winter - Mean Town Blues

(RIP, Johnny)

2 Likes