Awesome Song Thread!

I heard this song all the time on the radio in the late seventies, and would occasionally hear it as going-to-commercial music on the Letterman show, but never knew the name. I started to go a little nuts trying to figure out what it was, and when I started to see apps where you could hum a tune and have it identified, I went through all of them trying to identify what I remembered of the song–no dice.

Then I finally got around to watching Jackie Brown.

4 Likes

it’s a cover version

original:

/music nerd pedant

5 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pP-0GAldNI :laughing: :rabbit:

Edit: Oh, and this one’s awesome. Though after the first one you might be forgiven for disbelieving me.

3 Likes

Fatima Mansions - Only Losers Take the Bus

Minimal Compact - Dedicated

Shriekback - Nemesis

Coil - Tainted Love

80s/early 90s weirdness…

Edited to add Ruby - Paraffin:

5 Likes

Yodel-ay-eee-ooo!

Seven Deadly Finns - Eno

3 Likes

I have never seen them live but they are one of my favorite bands as well. I used to keep a stack of copies of Exile on Cold Harbour Lane (sp?) around from used DVD shopping and would give them to friends.

2 Likes

I get nostalgic sometimes - we had some great bands back home that never made it in the Anglophone world because, well… they weren’t Anglophone. This is Corbeau - early '80s Power Pop in the French language:

…and this, at the other end of what they did:

And I’ve brought these guys up before. UZEB. No vocals - '80s jazz fusion - but one of the bestselling fusion bands, just not in the Anglophone world. This is pretty much their signature tune:

4 Likes

fantastic. never knew about that one. their slow jams are chronically slept-on, I think. Pouring Rain, Black Flowers, Lemon Meringue, and pretty much the whole Psychotic Friends Nuttwerk album get overshadowed by the high energy stuff. truly, they were the baddest band in the world.

@ChuckV this is Eno?! it’s nothing like “Here Come the Warm Jets”

Well, it’s not totally dissimilar to Blank Frank or Baby’s on Fire. The one thing that makes it stand out from other Eno tracks for me, is that it’s possibly the only one where I get the feeling that the music serves as a vehicle for the lyric. rather than the reverse.

Put out between HCTWJ and TTMBS, the single’s B-side was Later On, five minutes of extracts from No Pussyfooting.

1 Like

Random stuff I thought of on my drive to work. Annoyingly, I can only find crappy live versions of most of them.

2 Likes

Deliberately posting the slightly low quality live recording because he can do it live yo…

Recorded (1973):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UikPQOaJpfU
5 Likes

And, for that matter:

6 Likes

Ah! You reminded me of this:

I had forgotten it as a whole, but “bring our yer dead, bring out yer dead” is something that floats through my mind because of this track. The EP also had a version of a Minstry track… Stigmata?

1 Like
3 Likes

@daneel - I want that orange-spotted yellow shirt! I used to have a star-covered yellow shirt. Long gone :frowning:

2 Likes

Here’s what I consider the companion piece to Funky Poodle.
(Dogs and cats living together. . .mass hysteria!)

And here’s Roddy Frame doing his thing.

2 Likes

I wish I had heard (of) Arthur Russell 25+ years earlier.

Aaaaaww, man, I’ve not heard Mano Negra in years.

Vambo Roolz