Awesome Song Thread!

Not enough people rock the pipe organ these days.

3 Likes

Got any lost gems to share? heard this one on an oldies station and was just blown away.

Iā€™m enjoying the fact that Itā€™s kind of hard with the people here to determine what is ā€œlostā€, and that defining a ā€œgemā€ might actually be easier.

From my perspective, Hereā€™s one in the latter category from Meat Beat:

4 Likes

Actually, itā€™s a barrel organ in this case, although Ligeti wrote it originally for harpsichord. Still, the barrel organ reinforces a rather Keith Emerson-like feel (which was also present in the original instrumentation). This was written a few years after ELPā€™s heyday, so I suspect itā€™s one of those rare cases where a classical composer was influenced by a Rock musician.

I like the sound and feel. Having known some people who could play the bass with their feet and a couple of keyboards on top, Itā€™s always in my head when I hear something like that. :slight_smile:

Aw man, you guys. This thread was started right as I was getting ready for a surgical procedure. (Long story and I wonā€™t bore anyone with details. Short story is Iā€™m fine and recovering nicely, thanks.) I feel very late to the party, but let me jump in with one of my absolute favorite weirdo obscuro sort of songs, which is doubly odd as it was by the not really weird at all Katie Lee:

Iā€™m also a lifelong Oingo Boingo fan, and of course before they were just OIngo Boingo they were The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo:

7 Likes

I still love the Live at Pompeii movie that they made right after Meddle was done and while they were working on Dark Side. All those great performances for a crowd of ghostsā€¦

8 Likes

Someone posted this in another thread a while ago and it kicks ass - Seun Kuti - IMF:

Also, one of my favorite Throwing Muses songs - I hate My Way:

4 Likes

@PatRx2 posting the Ligeti video got me Googling. I had never seen the Barbara Hannigan / GSO performance based on the arias from The Grand Macabre. A recent performance, but something I completely missed, and am glad to have seen / heard now.

1 Like

Occupying my mental space between Pink Floyd delay effects and Ministry grinding is Last Crackā€™s Burning Time. One of my fave LPs.

Iā€™ve been informed that the people want more jazz in this thread.

5 Likes

Add a little space on your Radiohead Uke Covers shelf for Radiohead String Quintet Remixes:

1 Like

fantastic posts. it is funny how awesome I thought The Wall was at 14 and how crap I think it is now (functions perfectly as a film, tho.) Really love Meddle (San Tropez, me and the dog like to sing Seamus) but now I see Iā€™ma have to cop AHM now.

the older I get, the more in awe I am of Lauper, who as a kid I just enjoyed in all her pop-y goodness. the songwriting in TAT and True Colors etc is flawless. Also, how can you not love the woman who does this with your entire heart?

@GilbertWham A&E Dept: surprisingly, yes. particularly when the beat gets set to ā€œsimmerā€ around the 5:30 mark. TOAā€¦ canā€™t get into it. As for Carbine:

ā€œReally?ā€

I kid. hereā€™s one from a 12" that I won in a raffle when I went to see label-mate DJ Assault do an in-store set:

kinda like the flipside better, but not on the tube

and since you and @miasm went downtempo on us, too, Iā€™ll contribute this as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWbaG6zhIWw

@solstone: welcome!

in that spirit, Iā€™ll post what is considered an anthem in my community but may be new to a lot of yā€™all ITT. If youā€™re skeptical of rap at all, I challenge you to read the lyrics firstā€“click highlighted text for annotations. The video is really nice, too.

1 Like

Ha ha! Iā€™ve been swapping thumb drives with my buddy at work and I just gave him the entire Esper Retirement Edition. phenomenal score.

1 Like

Vangelis hit the sweet spot, thatā€™s for sure.

Trying to find that kind of oceanic spaciousness in other music is kind of a challenge.

1 Like

Played live, no less.

2 Likes

Are you familiar with Aes Dana? (Vincent Villuis, co-owner of the fantastic Ultimae label.) Some of his stuff hits a sweet spot for sure:

2 Likes

une aussie femme

3 Likes

Youse (@miasm et alia) pushed me to hear this for the first time in 25 years

At the time, it was certainly awesome. After 25 years, it could do without the rap.

some background

1 Like

Waterlow - Mott the Hoople

EDIT: No likes, so sadā€¦