Awful Song Thread!

O, sweet! I “collect” versions of the song, and had not encountered this one before.

My 4-year-old son is a big fan of the Swedish Chef version, and has a fondness/contempt for variations from his étalon.

2 Likes

I always liked that song, so I’ll disagree.

And point out that her career as a choreographer has been much more influential:

Toni had been dancing professionally since childhood, but her adult
career started when she served as an assistant choreographer and dancer
on Shindig!, a breakthrough music variety show which premiered on the ABC network in 1964. In addition, Toni was assistant choreographer and a dancer on the 1964 concert film The T.A.M.I. Show (Teen-Age Music International) choreographed by David Winters,[3] which featured fellow dancer and friend, Teri Garr. Some of her 1960s film choreography work include Village of the Giants (1965), The Cool Ones (1967), and the Monkees’s 1968 film Head, in which she is partnered on-screen with Davy Jones during “Daddy’s Song.”

Basil choreographed, and co-directed with David Byrne, the music video for “Once in a Lifetime” by Talking Heads in 1980. She worked with Talking Heads again to direct and choreograph the video for the song “Crosseyed and Painless.” She choreographed David Bowie’s Diamond Dogs Tour in 1974, and Glass Spider Tour in 1987. (source)

4 Likes

Anybody know where those masks come from?

Back in 1996-97 it seemed like everywhere I went was playing these, 8-12 times a night each. I never liked them, I liked my hardcore to be darker.

BONUS!

Hardcore must have a very different meaning on the other side of The Pond. :frowning:

context is everything

It had different meanings depending on where in the UK you were, hardcore in Scotland and the North East of England evolved from gabber (which evolved from house music), in the South of England it evolved from breakbeat rave. Then there were the hardcore techno variants which weren’t as geographical.

The songs above are considered to have killed off the somewhat darker scottish bouncy techno. I think the bankrupcy of a ticket agency for a large number of events had far more effect though.

Hardcore punk was a completely seperate scene, although Wattie from The Exploited was often in the crowd at Twisted/Resistance in Edinburgh.

True enough. You can have hardcore X or hardcore Y. I have to say though, I was expecting something more like BadBrains. (I also would not want to put them in this thread.)

I was at the grocery store last night and the following played over the PA:

I had blissfully forgotten this POS. This is one of the few non-C&W songs that makes me violently angry for no discernible reason.

What I miss about the 80’s is that you didn’t really need any quality to your video production AT ALL. You could just put something together in your garage and wear someone’s old cheerleader outfit and that was enough to get you on the charts for a good long time.

1 Like

The shift from music videos being used for promoting a band to executives in media companies, to aiming directly at consumers was only partway along back then. It made for interesting times.

1 Like

I always liked that song, so I’ll disagree.

It was a rather weak entry on my part, but the first song that popped into my head I remembered as “annoying” when I came upon this thread. I still don’t like the song, though that is not to detract from Toni Basil’s (in my mind far greater) accomplishments.

Clearly I need to step up my game in the awful music category.

1 Like

You. Can. DO IT!!!

1 Like

A bunch of my workmates and I burned up a five hour flight layover one time on the topic “Songs that the rest of the world and music critics think are great, but which you CAN’T STAND.”

“Hey Jude” was easily the winner, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” finished a couple of lengths back.

I’ve been trying to decide which song to post here. There is only one that always comes to the forefront, so perhaps if I post that one it will clear my brain for others to percolate. I, too, was forced to listen to a tape loop at one of my teen jobs, and actually most of the songs, when listened to three, four, five times a day were just fine, but THIS song - THIS song is not.

1 Like

If we start concentrating on that decade this thread is going to drag on a very long time!

3 Likes

You don’t need to concentrate on the '60s to achieve that - bad music is a constant in any period, and there’s so much of it. :smile:

1 Like

From the recent AUS v ARG rugby match comes this version of the Australian national anthem. The tactic of mumbling the words you don’t know only really works if you’re not hooked up to the PA system. Good voice, though.

On the other hand, there was this moment:

2 Likes

Man, I could post hours of stuff here.
This’ll do for now. Ouch!

1 Like