Ayn Rand Institute call for interns

I believe it was @halloween_jack_ on these very boards said something like ‘The worst thing about the whole Libertarian floating island thing is that they haven’t all actually fucked off and done it’, or words to that effect :smiley:

15 Likes

Not something that I can really take credit for inventing, but thanks!

4 Likes

That video keeps coming back to haunt me, and now I know why. It’s like a cult. A scary one, because so many people in the U.S. already more or less think in these ways.

4 Likes

That video was really creepy, and did seem to hit a lot of cult-notes. It actually reminded me of a handful of Oh No Ross and Carrie episodes where they described what it felt like to hang out in cult-like environments. In particular, the students describing what they felt was an intellectually open environment, where professors “encouraging us to ask them questions” and they are “finally free to have deep, intellectual conversations” which seems to be a pervasive strategy for actually creating closed loops of information. But it was blatantly creepy when the one kid said that their thinking about Objectivism* extends beyond the 9-5, and they are discussing it over breakfast, at night, and anywhere thoughts can be had!

*spell-checker refuses to acknowledge this word…

3 Likes

My English teacher encouraged me to do it because she thought I was such a great analytical writer.

I’m extremely glad I got involved with lobbying the state to let me fuck off and go to college a year early instead. I shudder to think what might have happened to me if I’d read that rather than the one about orcs.

6 Likes

Sounds like they’re saying “Iran”. Freudian slip?

2 Likes

They’ll be paying the interns union rate, yeah?

Actually yes they do pay you to attend… $1200 for 3 weeks of time and $500 towards travel which is reasonable. Altough the programme does sound like it involves an element of cold-calling donors

2 Likes

but instead of resisting arbitrary state rules and actively seeking an education yourself, you could have just joined a self-selected elite of whiners!

(seriously, good choice.)

3 Likes

That was funny!

1 Like

I am John Galt’s empty wallet

4 Likes

Freedom to converse, or freedom from dissent?

Randroids do not appreciate, or understand, freedom. It’s just another right they have.

5 Likes

A far more productive use of their time than spamming internet comment boards with their ill-considered drivel. Seriously, is there no Randoid capable of thinking an action through to a logical conclusion*?

*Question is rhetorical. Of course there aren’t any because they wouldn’t be Randoids if they could.

6 Likes

I can name one. Ayn Rand, when she accepted Medicare as she was dying!! No objectivists in foxholes, I guess

7 Likes

I think her justification was that she paid the money in, why shouldn’t she get the money out… but I guess that logic only applies to her, not the the rest of America… especially not the poor.

8 Likes

Quite correct! And in perfect line with all the other thoughtful, shallow, and self-involved justifications of individual supremacy over their own stated ideals for others that Randroidism generates constantly.

9 Likes

And their fight song, is called “Fuck Everybody”…

1 Like

Isn’t that oxymoronic? I would’ve imagined her saying something like “you lazy leeches, you are your own institute.”

But then, I’ve yet to read anything by Rand – including the copy of Anthem I received as a gift(!). I will readily admit to being closed-minded and set in my ways. (I also haven’t tried deep-frying my feces and eating it, or pounding my testes with a ball-peen hammer.)

This topic was automatically closed after 790 days. New replies are no longer allowed.