Baby born on an airplane over Alaska named 'Sky' by mom

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/12/baby-born-on-an-airplane-over.html

6 Likes

What happened to not flying after a certain point during a pregnancy?

2 Likes

I think it’s reasonable to make exceptions for people who don’t live in driving distance of a hospital. The idea for that guideline isn’t that planes are inherently unsafe places for pregnant women, it’s that if a woman goes into labor on a plane there may not be time to get her to a maternity ward. But she was already in that situation anyway since she lived in a tiny rural community with very few emergency services.

19 Likes

I imagine being in Alaska that was the only option to get to the nearest medical facility. Even when trying for a home birth, many parents wish to have a better equipped option if things don’t go well. Plus, it could have been a pregnancy issue such as a breech position or other high-risk situation.

Is that a play on Sky/Air?

Looks like @Brainspore beat me to it, again!

9 Likes

I think you’re right about this being the only way out of town (and technically I’m not sure it even counts as a “town”).

A quick Google search shows that this appears to be the only air service that provides year-round service to Glennallen, Alaska:

So it’s not exactly a case of someone boarding a 747 to head out on vacation a month before her due date.

11 Likes

Yeah, a Cessna is basically a yellow cab in Alaska.

12 Likes

Thank a goddess she didn’t have to name the baby ‘Ground’.

9 Likes

Welcome to Earth, Sky Airon Hicks!

You seem well suited to become a Happy Mutant when you are of age, so here is your preliminary greeting :slight_smile:

11 Likes

A while back an ancestor of mine had twins on the boat trip from England to the US, one twin was named John Seaborn and the other Seaborn John. I may be biased but I think Skyborn would be a cool name too.

7 Likes

I have a friend named Ward who was born in a hospital :grin:

13 Likes

But why not?

1 Like

So many questions:

• Technically did she falsify an official document?
  • Why on Earth (!) did they make her fill out paperwork under those circumstances instead of waiting until she made it to the hospital?
  • Do airlines always have blank birth certificate forms on board for cases like this?
1 Like

There’s a reason @brainspore has the “First poster” badge. :wink:

3 Likes

2 Likes

My son’s middle name is Ward.
He spent his first month in a NICU ward in Phoenix.
I didn’t bestow that moniker, a respected Lama did.

1 Like

I’m so sorry I triggered that for you… I was making a silly pun. My girlfriends name is Katrina and she passed away in an ICU awaiting a second heart transplant. She was a hurricane of a person and I’ll stand by her moniker/name . Names and words can be very powerful… thank you for reminding me - absolutely no sarcasm here.

3 Likes

no offense taken in the least. the Lama explained that “Ward” was as in “Warden” and he would grow to steward the environment and such. He lived to be 21, but did, indeed, live in nature.
I like your thought on your GF being a “hurricane of a person”.I find that particularly sweet. my condolence for your loss, as well.
on topic, I went to HS with a girl whose name was Sky. Her brother’s name was Seven. Not sure how he felt about the Kevin Spacey movie of same name :thinking:

1 Like

thanks for your thoughtful response

1 Like

I took “filling out the birth certificate information was difficult because they were about 18,000 feet (5,500 meters) in the air” to mean that it was difficult to know what to write in for “Place of Birth” when she completed the paperwork later, not that it was physically difficult to fill out the form mid-flight.

I don’t think small charter planes generally have that kind of paperwork on board anyway.

1 Like

Huh, this explains why I was named Woodrow (Woody for short)

(Born on a dirty matress in the back of a VW van at Woodstock)

1 Like