Baby meets beagle

Where did I say they are bad parents? I simply pointed out the risks involved as cute as the video may be. I used to train service dogs. All responsible dogs trainers recommend keeping babies and little children out of dogs’ faces. It’s not about being mean to the baby or the dog. It’s about safety.

You know how service dogs are trained not to “mouth”? You keep your hands away from their mouths and you turn your back if they display unwanted behavior. Simple, undramatic, and it works.

And a 6 month old human shares the same emotions as an adult?

I didn’t mention how I trained out mouthing and biting, but I used a similar technique to that. As soon as he mouthed or bit, playtime is over, I turn around and walk away. No more playtime or attention from me for a few minutes. Then we can start interacting again. It takes a long time, but it’s been effective. Dogs crave attention, and they’ll figure out all the attention stops when they do something you don’t like.

4 Likes

Good job!

Whuh?

Maybe you didn’t parse that comment quite right. By “getting the Stupid”, I meant the dog.

I didn’t mention children at all in that post, so if you meant something relevant you can say so.

Here’s a site to help parents teach children about reading dog body language and respecting a dog’s limits - http://stopthe77.com/ . In the video Xeni posted, the beagle’s body language is mixed. The tongue-flicking indicates some anxiety. The rolling over onto his back is submissive behavior, showing that he means no harm and wants no trouble. NickyG is right about the baby grabbing the dog’s face. The person recording the video should have intervened immediately.

1 Like

I sincerely apologize for confusing you with NickyG.

That said, the recommendations of dog trainers have nothing to do with determining the most dangerous activities for babies.

Um, did it occur to you that dogs can unwittingly be the cause of babies falling down, you know, like bumping them, or even scaring them, or because of a myriad of scenarios? And please don’t ignore the recs of dog trainers. The good ones are working for humane ways for both of our species to understand each other and thrive. If you consider yourself on top of all things tech (it is 2015) you should know dog training and the understanding of dog behavior is keeping march with the times. This is not the world of living with dogs in the 1970’s or '80’s.

You’re right. It was LDoBe who asked, “if it was crazy to appreciate an animal who loves you with every last bit of strength it’s got”. My point was a six month old baby can’t and doesn’t have those emotions.

2 Likes

No problem because I agree 100% with NickyG.
And BB, why are you telling me I’m not letting other people contribute to the thread when I’m only responding to comments aimed at me? Are you censoring comments now?

It’s because you posted three times in a row.

They prefer if you respond to multiple comments in the same post so it clutters less.

So I can hit, say, three comments and write one reply? I’ve also always wondered why the replies don’t show up under the comment immediately instead of appearing down thread. Not efficient IMHO.

I posted three times in a row to three comments. That’s not a problem at other places.

Sure, I’ll show you. So here’s me replying to you.

Aw, they’re becoming homies!

If you open a reply window, and then highlight text to quote, it will give you a button to pull that quote into your reply. You can scroll around and do that as many times as you like.

And it’s not a problem here, as you can see by the fact that it allowed you to post anyway after the warning. It’s just a reminder to try to keep things neat.

1 Like

There’s a setting in your Preferences section that turns off the thing where the page automatically scrolls to the bottom when you reply. I turned it off a long time ago, because I often reply to a specific thing while reading the thread and kept losing my place when the thing would jump from comment 20, allllll the way down to the bottom of the page where my comment (#217) is posted.

2 Likes

I’m an idiot with a Mac. How do I highlight text to quote?. And thanks for putting the “Gentle Leader” ( a dog halter) on my snout to aim me in the right direction. Good job!

1 Like

I don’t Mac, so I can’t help you there. I suspect it’s just like in a PC browser, where you mouse to the text you want and click and drag to highlight it.

2 Likes

Firefox preferences?

1 Like

No, BBS preferences. I’ll edit this to show you a screenshot.

Here ya go!

1 Like