Babylon 5 now available to stream for free in the US

[quote=“Mister44, post:57, topic:100300”]
Still super impressed with the quality and variety of the aliens.[/quote]
Oh, yeah, the make-up job is really amazing, covering enough to give an alien impression, while allowing actors to show expressions.

By the way, the aliens in metallic suits with large-eyed helmets:

are the Gaim, named after Neil Gaiman, and their helmets designed after Dream of the Endless.

5 Likes

He also wrote one of the episodes - a fan favourite, even. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed, and an important one, too, if only because it humanizes Cpt Lochley.

2 Likes

"So dear sweet universe, if you are paying attention in the vastness of interstellar space, take a moment from plotting the trajectory of comets and designing new DNA in farflung cosmos, and spare a thought for those who you have plucked so untimely from our ranks…and knock it off for a while.

Because this isn’t fair."
-JMS

[Pours out a drink]

Jerry Doyle
Jeff Conaway
Michael O’Hare
Richard Biggs
Andrew “Andreas” Katsulas

Requiescat In Pace

5 Likes

On my shelf at home:

“Life changing experiences; you get them every now and again. You may have heard some rumors that I was in a little coma about three years ago? Well it’s true. If your friends say you look like shit; go to the doctor.
“I was in a coma, life support, multiple organ failure, stopped breathing, last rites, call the family and fly them out – he’s gonna die. And, I showed them. When I came out of the coma- uh; I don’t know, maybe a week and a half later, I didn’t know where I was. I thought maybe I’d just had a couple of drinks and dozed off somewhere. And I knew I had to go to the bathroom, so I attempted to do that, and ended up wiping out, and broke my neck and my shoulder. And people said: Wow, you had a pretty shitty year. And I said: Not really- because I’m still here. And- another life changing experience.
“Since that day; three years ago, I have not missed a sunrise. And (He turns to Mira Furlan; seated next to him) I remember your character used to do the same; after John Sheridan passed on. I’m pretty sure the sun is gonna come up tomorrow. I know if it does, I’m gonna be there. And my point is: We don’t know when it’s over. But as long as we got today, and you got a choice, why would you choose to make it a bad day?”
– Jerry Doyle, Phoenix Comicon 2013

3 Likes

The production quality ticks up noticeably in season two. Having rewatched the entire run earlier this year, I was stuck more by how iffy the physical effects were more than I was bothered by the too-slick spacecraft and other CGI. My tiny, Standard Def TV hid SO MANY of those crimes back in the day.

2 Likes

Tim Choate, too.

1 Like

Awh, Zathras. :frowning:

2 Likes

B5 and DS9 were both fall of the Soviet Union shows. Once upon a time, there was a fallen empire … It was no longer quite the power it once was, but it was still dangerous. Very dangerous. I could hear echoes of Kipling’s “make no truce with Adam-zad, the bear that walks like a man”. The first season of B5 borrowed a lot from Lord of the Rings with its sense of rising threat and things out of order. Then Ivanova came in and stole the show. (Actually, there some pretty good ensemble acting. I’ll bet they had some fun.)

I remember watching B5 when it came out, and realizing that the internet was perfect for finding pending show times. Then the UHF network changed owners and B5 went on hiatus. Then it came back.

2 Likes

Yeah, the CGIs don’t scale well to HD, and they can’t be improved. With my sweetie, we prefer to watch it on the small TV in our bedroom than on the living-room’s HDTV.

2 Likes

Ahhhh, I thought you guys were immune from piracy prosecution because of the media tax?

This was what I was told last couple times I ventured North anyways.

I still can’t believe the show got away with the “Londo has six prehensile penises and he uses them to cheat at cards” bit.

2 Likes

Supposedly, those attach to six vaginas on the back of a Centauri female. Finally a show that got into weird alien sex.

1 Like

I feel like Japan probably got there first but I’m not going to Google that shit.

1 Like

Wonder why his writing went down hill after that?

Thats a very interesting idea. I’ll have to chew on that for a while.

I’m not sure that is an accurate summation of the law, but I think it’s because of that that we get shitty streaming services. Different law around copying things means that companies probably want to do a lot more legal analysis before sending anything to the north.

I still love the story :

“You told us, ‘don’t write camp’ -and you’re writing about a guy cheating at cards with his six dicks?”

So I told him, “well, you write what you know.”

MWAH.

5 Likes

In the last ep - “As for Delenn, she waits every morning for the sun to come up” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znNciln7qwY&t=8s

Jesus, I’m not usually so weepy, but this made me bawl like heck.

2 Likes

As long as we’re talking about Galen, this is one of the most brilliant scenes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.