Bad design: This is the menu where a wrong click triggered the Hawaii missile alert Saturday

I have a maybe slightly connected theory that any organization with over 250 office workers will have an in-house application named after an Egyptian god.

• the gods’ names are short, suitable for acronyms
  • several of them have names ending in ‘is’ which is handy because you can always call something the “Something Something Information System”
  • everybody likes Egyptian gods. A bunch of them have animal heads!
10 Likes

7 Likes

Less than one, using an OnClick() triggered JavaScript. That would be like, less than a hundred more characters.

You mean just clicking the link was enough? He didn’t go to another page and then actually push a button?

In other words, did the dumb designers made a GET request act in a way it was never intended to? That’s lazy.

Given that a World of Warcraft account encourages tighter security than a fairly depressing range of more important things even allow; it isn’t a huge surprise.

3 Likes

That looks like someone’s nephew did it, after school.

3 Likes

Naively I hoped it look something like this:

7 Likes

2 Likes

Design? I think it was exported from word by David from accounting.

6 Likes

I’d have to agree. That is someone with no sense of design just throwing up links in a list. Can you imagine if someone like that were told to create instrumentation for an aircraft, or a dashboard for a car?

Design is so your brain doesn’t have to hunt and fish around for the right thing while time is wasting.

As @Grey_Devil pointed out, an “ARE YOU SURE??” qualifier afterward might be a good idea, but I personally like @morcheeba’s

• Test PACOM (CDW) (State only message) !!! SERIOUS!!! MISSILE ATTACK ONLY!!!

And separate this line from the others with a bunch of whitespace above and below so it’s unmistakable what this is.

There’s a reason the big red button is on a table all by itself, far removed from all the other buttons and levers.

1 Like

I work with my fair share of gevernment infrastructre and the resistence to U/UX expense is a bit like the resistence to customer service at the DMV. In short, “The service was provided as per the letter of the law, get over it.” The IT staff tend to be, or have been exclusively (entrenched, territorial) DBAs and back enders, and consider UX “prettying it up” rather than an issue of ease-of-use or error-reduction.

I’ve noticed this particularly in places like upstate New York (from my local reference) where a lot of the civil servants are republicans, and barely believe the services should exist, much less be convenient and easy to access. I still remember when we went to a meeting with child welfare upstate to give a presentation on a system we were building, and the tone for the conversation was set when a state worker sneered at our handouts with “ooh, look who gets to print in color” like we were salsa makers from NYC (we are based in Brooklyn)

There’s been a slow shift as people realize that proper UI/UX saves a shitload of customer service and error correction effort and money. A colleague of mine in communications has been getting great reception from a presentation she’s given at several conferences on the “soft” efforts it takes to properly rollout new regulations. But still, it’s shifting much faster among people who want governmwnt to be effective. In 2014, in the leadup to the rollout of ACA, Obama’s team hired a design firm to put out prototypes and meaty guidance for UI/UX (search EnrollUX 2014, or ask, I’ve got all the files, and visit them often!) for states to use for getting their exchanges up and running. It was a different and brighter time…

7 Likes

A system I manage has a view triggered by a GET which does something I would rather had a confirmation (emails clients). On at least two occasions, it has been triggered by somebody spidering our system with wget.

2 Likes

They fired him after he learned such an expensive and valuable lesson?

1 Like

He wasn’t fired, he had to quit because of death threats against him.

Yes, I sure can. As it so happens, I own that car!

The inverted stickshift anti-pattern in Toyotas and Nissans just astounds me. It’s like someone read Don Norman’s book and said “muahahahah, now we’ll make the opposite of a good user interface!”

And don’t get me started about touchscreen interfaces on cars. Somehow it’s definitely not OK for me to text while driving, but it’s perfectly fine to put important vehicle controls on an overly complex touchscreen down next to my knee.

3 Likes

Tesla cars have the majority of their controls and interface accessible by touchscreen only. Granted its a giant touchscreen but it doesn’t seem like a good choice

4 Likes

This was a drill; he was learning how to use it. The consequences for an error during training should not be this huge. A training/drill system should not be mixed with a live system. This is not the fault of the person who pushed the wrong button.

4 Likes

I would not blame the person who pushed the button. It’s unfortunate it happened but as other people and news sources have said… considering how poor the UI is it’s surprising it hasn’t happened before and its definitely something that should be redesigned.

2 Likes

Hopefully this prods governments to take a look at their rare but important alerts. Not just once-in-a-lifetime stuff like a nuclear strike, but things like hurricane evacuations, where people die if you get it wrong either way. An occasional 1970s air-raid siren going off was an annoyance, but phone alerts get everyone moving all at once.

MUCH better odds if you accidentally clicked “Landslide - Hana Road Closure.”

1 Like